T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a screen printing kit and I'm wondering which one? There are tons out there and I'm not really sure where to start. I'm looking for a 4 color 4 station and I'm looking to spend (as little as possible) around $3,000. Anyone have suggestions? Where did you get yours from? Any place you know of that I should stay away from? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I actually saw that too, but was looking for more information...thats just one idea...I was looking to get a few more.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Although I'm loath to buy anything for over $200 on eBay, there are actually some great deals there on pro-level multi-stationed rigs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Confusing was the wrong word....overwhelming would be better. Trying to pick out equipment to purchase....ugh...so much out there. I'm not totally sure what I need. I have never screen printed before. I'm looking to get started and I'm not sure which kits is the best for my money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
start out with something cheaper. waaay cheaper if you're not sure about what to get. if you get something basic and you think you might need more, it would be easier to upgrade than if you spent $3000 on something you dont need. i'm sure you can find a good kit, everything you need to screen with, and bunch of shirts for less than $600

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really??? I guess my thought was I don't want to turn around and buy all new stuff. I already own a store and I out source a ton of orders to a screen printer. I am looking to keep all those orders in house. And I'm also looking to print my own shirt to sell in my store. Do you think I can do all that for $600?

·
Registered
86 Posts
MinusBlindfold said:
start out with something cheaper. waaay cheaper if you're not sure about what to get. if you get something basic and you think you might need more, it would be easier to upgrade than if you spent $3000 on something you dont need. i'm sure you can find a good kit, everything you need to screen with, and bunch of shirts for less than $600

Hi there...I was just told about this thread and thought I would weigh in with my two cents. I have been in the biz for 20 years this August. I have to say that you are NOT going to be able to get started for $600. I can think of at least 20-30 things you will need to even start. The "screen printing unit" is only the beginning. My guess is that you will need at least $600 in just chemicals to start your shop. Here is great site for a straight forward approach to getting started. Click on "how to screen print" on the left navigation and then on "Supplies needed to start printing" I haven't even mentioned the technical information or the learning curve. I would start slowly buying the supplies and equipment using the profits from your current situation. Start experimenting in your garage with no mission critical jobs. After you read about the supplies explore the other topics (mesh tips, Emulsion tips, and frame tips) and you will start to understand what I'm trying to get across. It's not impossible, not even close. But it’s no walk in the park either. :) If you have technical questions as you go I will be happy to throw you my direct number and private e-mail.

·
Registered
65 Posts
triplej said:
I have been in the biz for 20 years this August. I have to say that you are NOT going to be able to get started for $600.
hmm, that's strange, because for $480, I got a single screen press, three inks, two screens, all my supplies and chemicals, AND 40 black hanes t-shirts. I learned how to use it within a matter of two weeks and began selling after, so I don't know what's considered getting started in your opinion. now i'm not filling up cases of t-shirts weekly, but for that price, I'm able to make one color shirts and buy chemicals as need from profits. For someone who doesn't know what they want, why would they dish out a ton of cash if it's not what they want/need?
my advice: If you're just experementing, DO NOT spend a lot of money. (especially $600 just for chemicals). that's rediculous.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am definately looking at doing muli-color jobs. One color, one station wouldn't really work for me. I realize I am just starting out and pretty unsure of what I need, but I do know I am going to jump right in. I have a huge space in the back of my store the the equipment. I appreciate everything everyone has said. I was really looking to find out if one brand or company is better then another? I'm looking to purchase soon. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
After viewing the kit, I would say this is a fairly decent deal. I am always under the guise of starting out right. This is definately not overkill and in my opinion, the bare essentials to actually make money, and not being just a hobby. It does appear to be slightly misleading in the way the package is laid out. The price does not include a conveyer dryer. I believe a conveyer dryer is critical if you want to turn jobs around. So many people want to cure their shirts using a flash unit. The heat has a tendency to warp the platens as well as heat them up so when you print another shirt or a second pass, you can clog your screens easier. It also slows you down because you can't print at a good speed while you are waiting for your shirt to cure.

I am unfamiliar with the joystick registration, but the press looks very solid. I did a search and found they have a patent on this technology and it does appear to be a very good concept. I would call the company and see if they have a video demonstration of how the registration system works.

I would contact the company and confirm as to what all comes with this setup. When I began, I bought a 4 color 4 station, conveyer dryer (smaller than what is shown), exposure unit, flash unit, frames, inks, squeeges, etc. My out of pocket expense was a little over $5,000. This setup has a little more, even with the conveyer dryer and not for much more than I paid. I purchased additional equipment as I went, like a washout booth, similar to what they have shown and a pressure washer (heavy duty, not the cheapos.)

Overall, the press looks built extremely well and you do get what you pay for. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I completely missed the part you said about needing a 4 color multi station press, my comments were just assuming you wanted to try screen printing, not jump right into high volume multi color production.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts