T-Shirt Forums banner

Screen printers

1902 Views 16 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  cookiesa
Please explain why I'm having a difficult time, in the Atlanta area, finding a reasonable screen printer who will print my designs on the tshirts I provide?????:confused: The printers and I have the same tshirts brands...
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Not sure about there but it could be as simple as from a printers point of view there is a markup on the Tee's we supply, it is part of how we make a living. Personally I would but you would pay a higher rate per print, you would also be epected to provide an extra qty of shirts, epending on the print run to allow for misprints or other issues. Maybe you need to talk to them about their reluctance, generally when someone wants to supply the shirts it is because they want to get it done as cheaply as possible, these same customers are usually the most difficult to deal with and often have unreasonable expectations.

Some customers are not worth the trouble and unfortunately you may fall in to appearing to be in this group.....

Probably the best way would be to rock up to a smaller printer with a couple of cups of coffee and try and have a chat about your needs, there may be a compromise there to benefit both of you
Reactions: 1
Thanks for the response, it was very helpful. BTW, I do not fall into that category of difficult people to work with esp since I've been on the other side:)
This is a time of year when printers tend to be busy......They might not want "shirts supplied" orders when they can make way more money on selling their own clients shirts & printing....
Thanks for the response, it was very helpful. BTW, I do not fall into that category of difficult people to work with esp since I've been on the other side:)
What's your reason for wanting to provide your own shirts?
Well, it probably has to do with being cheaper if you want to provide the garments.

What you are probably looking for is contract only printer, who will price the job to include checking in your order, printing, labeling, etc. Most retail/contract folks don't want or need this type of relationship.

Of course, if you don't have some volume, contract folks generally can't help.

Post a contract printer wanted here on the forum and see what you get.
dont mind me asking but how many were you looking to do. I can see if your only looking to do a small amount oh lets say 1-2 dozen shirts it may not be worth the time to do them. I know of a screen printer in PA who will only do a 6 dozen shirt order. why he has automatic press and it wouldn't be worth their time to do short orders. But someone like me who has a manual press would be more then willing to do it so long as its not like 6 of this design 8 of that etc etc etc.

But, like a couple of other posters mentioned for me to do outside contracting Ie print only like I'm doin now for a client I told them add a couple of other sizes incase I have a mistake but also your going to either eat or fast on pricing. that is why I really am not making much clear money doing imprint only when I could get both shirt and imprint.
In the past I've had about 100 -150 printed twice a month.
And all your previous transactions have gone smoothly in Atlanta? You always paid up front and upon receipt? Are the shirts something odd? Would you have had a bad interaction with a printer that would have led him to blacklist you as a customer. Printers sometimes talk to each other. But my guess is that your printers simply do not want to eat the losses on the miss prints. Almost always so one is willing to do just about anything for the right price so there is something else involved. Perhaps they don't like printing on old navy outlet seconds that are impossible to effectively replace?
All my transactions have gone through without any problems and the printer has only had to replace
5 - 10 shirts since our partnership started . The printer is the only printer I have used since I started my business last year so I'm certain that I'm not on anyone's blacklist. As a matter of fact, the printer and I have never had any problems or should I say that we have discussed. She doesn't know that I'm searching for someone else because she just printed several items for me. Honestly I'm not satisfied with the customer service but she does great work. If you say that the shirts will be ready in 7 - 14 days then that's what I expect and so does my customer. I understand things come up and things happen beyond our control sometimes but that's when communication is key.
By the way I do not print on Old Navy shirts; I use the same brands that most everyone in the industry use such as Gilden, LAT, and Anvil.
That was a reference to a post you had in a different thread where you were asking about printing on a batch of seconds that you had considered getting from the old navy outlet. Sorry you took offense. If its not one of those problems then I will take A shot in the dark and say your current printer is under pricing herself (for what ever reason, poor pricing model?) and you are getting a better deal then what other printers are willing to give you on top of being allowed to get your own shirts. You provide the shirts and demand replacements on misprints? That is a pretty big expectation and for most printers come at a premium. That would explain a little.

Are you a broker or are you selling the shirts as an Addon to some other aspect of your biz?

If you are looking outside your current printer then I would also confront this person regarding the deadline issue. Again the price you are receiving might be setting you up for a deadline issue or two. If you are not generating a lot of income for a printer you will be prioritized below better paying clients.

As a business person yourself you must work with clients that want caviar on sardine budget.
See less See more
www.wasatcht.com does printing in-house or has a printer they work closely with.....They also wholesale blanks....
Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side...
I really agree with everyone else. If I print on shirts you provide you have to allow some for errors. And the pricing will be about 5.50 each with minimum 24. The saying for me is .... If I can't make 100 dollars it's not worth my time.
I do agree, as an accountant, I definitely think my current printer has under priced her work but I do not have control of that. As for the misprints, I never asked her to reimburse me for the shirts but to adjust my invoice by the printing cost/misprinted shirt.
By the way, I was not offended & appreciate your honest opinion on the subject matter:)

Thanks for all of the comments & helpful tips!
If your main concern is delivery, maybe a chat with your current printer would be a better way to go? There are many things that could be contributing. Perhaps there are things that can be done to make delivery quicker. For example I had a customer who only wanted small runs on a couple of designs. We agreed on a once off artwork fee that really was to cover the cost of buying and setting up dedicated screens so that the screen was sitting there ready to go whenever they had an order. This saved burning a screen and reclaiming afterwards.

Maybe it is time to revisit the pricing? If your happy with the work shopping around may end up with you paying more or even ending up paying more, still unhappy with the delivery and a drop in quality. If your happy with your printer why not contact them and have an open discussion about what can be done to address your issues. There may be solutions that suit everybody. A good business relationship can help your business immensley along the way.

Keep in mind to a lot of printers etc know each other, they may very well chat and you may by accident cause friction with your current printer...... It's amazing how small the world can be at times :)
See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.