T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I have a customer who has asked me to screen print their employees names on the front of 2200 shirts. There are probably 250 - 300 different names, using a specific font, and a specific Pantone color. I tried to talk them into a heat press vinyl, but they refused to use that material. Does anyone have any ideas on what would be the easiest way to approach this job? I have already talked with Transfer Express and my options are limited as well as the Pantone color. Any help is greatly appreciated.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to convince them to use transfer vinyl. One of them had a bad experience with a shirt that had that material, and she is the one making the decisions. But some of the employees ordered 5 shirts, and a few of the others ordered 10 or more. The only problem with ganging them on a sheet is making the quantities work out for each name. The other issue to this job is that they are wanting to order for full time employees as well as temps. And this could be a twice a month job with names always changing.

· Registered
8,278 Posts
Screen your own transfers. Just charge accordingly. Make a set up fee per name, screen fee, basicly it’s going to be costly. For full time employee you can order extra. Most. Companies don’t understand the involvement for names. Just make sure to charge enough

I use to screen the names and gang on a screen taping off unused having a even distance between names so I can use the rulers on press to move platens. Then I got a call from the place and they said they had their shirts printed and needed the names. They were expecting the same price as when I printed the entire shirt. I hit them with every charge I could think of and sent over a quote for just the names. The said they wanted to move forward with order. That’s when I said I don’t print on printed shirts. I ran into a guy wearing one of their shirts without a name so I asked. He told me the guy who printed the shirts wanted $50 a name set up and $5 per imprint. They also wouldn’t except vinyl. They tried to have me print the shirts again this spring, I told them was too busy

Reactions: Silver Star DC

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about doing that as well. I figured I could get 30 to 40 names on a screen. But I'm still a small shop and I'm not sure that I have enough screens to get all the names on. I guess I was just hoping to find an easier way to go about this.

· Administrator
18,443 Posts
Anybody else have a suggestion on this, or has gone through this before?
1. All what you've said points back to screen printing. I see no other options except maybe sewn on name patches. (Think Joe's Garage).

2. Now that you know you will be screen printing a shoot-load of names, charge accordingly. The client has backed himself into a corner, he needs to pay for that, not you.

You said you don't have enough screens - buy some more. Add it to your bill.

3. Please, please, please don't forget to add in a spoil-rate. Otherwise you're going to find yourself buying replacement shirts on your mistakes. On one-off prints like this, it's not a question of if you'll mess up a shirt, it's a question of how many. Me, personally, i would quote a spoil rate of 1%.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1. All what you've said points back to screen printing. I see no other options except maybe sewn on name patches. (Think Joe's Garage).

2. Now that you know you will be screen printing a shoot-load of names, charge accordingly. The client has backed himself into a corner, he needs to pay for that, not you.

You said you don't have enough screens - buy some more. Add it to your bill.

3. Please, please, please don't forget to add in a spoil-rate. Otherwise you're going to find yourself buying replacement shirts on your mistakes. On one-off prints like this, it's not a question of if you'll mess up a shirt, it's a question of how many. Me, personally, i would quote a spoil rate of 1%.
Ha ha ha...yes it does. And the patches on the shirts are what they are wanting to get away from. That's good advice, I appreciate that. I usually forget to add in a spoil rate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.