T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
9,864 Posts
screen printing is better quality and durability wise but vinyl and heat transfers have a different market. They are geared more towards small run designs and custom or personalized designs.

Vinyl will last long. Paper transfers don't do as well. Light transfers will fade soon after although some of our staff's uniforms are 2 years old.

Again, they do have different market. You can find more information by typing the key words in the search box above.

· Registered
9,864 Posts
Continue to screen print. Transfers are a inferior product then screen printing and your clients might be accustom to the screen printing. I also i truly feel transfer will devalue your business and image
transfers are not necessarily an inferior product. It depends on your client's needs. Also on how you present the product.

ignitedink. we do sublimation and love it, as I also used to do screen printing. my hands are now clean. if you have any questions message me. have a nice day uncletee.
I like the colors of sublimation. also softhand at its best. Unfortunately they're only for polyesters and in the tropics polyesters are not that popular. Otherwise, sublimation is just as durable as screen printing. Some would say 'more' durable

· Registered
644 Posts
If you have the money to buy a good press and a good cutter and a small stock of vinyl then I say go for it. I've had great luck with F&M expressions for my plastisol transfers. I would consider getting some sort of printer set up for printing your own too. They aren't as durable but it's great to have the option when you need realistic photos. I don't believe at all that screen printing is better quality than plastisol transfers. I have lots of transfers that have outlasted other shirts that were printed by big shops.

A heat press opens up your business to so much more. You can get into the sign vinyl type businesses to. Also rhinestones but I'm finding rhinestones aren't that popular where I am.

The downside to plastisol transfers is that you have shipping to absorb too. And 2 color ones are much more expensive than the 1 color deals. I think you should add the heat press but keep the screen press too for multiple color jobs.

I have a production twin shuttle press that's air operated and I can run that quicker than I can screen print. But I'm not really efficient at screen printing yet.

Good luck.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Screen printing gradients is a piece of cake. It is definitely possible and is done in the form of halftones.

Maybe the printer you spoke to cant do them, but there is nothing hard about printing them at all

· Registered
9,864 Posts
I have been told it can't.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using T-Shirt Forums
Screen printing gradients is a piece of cake. It is definitely possible and is done in the form of halftones.

Maybe the printer you spoke to cant do them, but there is nothing hard about printing them at all
Richie is correct. Halftone gradients are constantly done in screen printing. You can also print photographs or photographic images with all the colors and gradients.

· Registered
2,105 Posts
Richie is correct. Halftone gradients are constantly done in screen printing. You can also print photographs or photographic images with all the colors and gradients.
Here's an example of some artwork setup ready for my next job on the press. 4 screens

I included the blue screen, so you can see the gradients clearly. The other screen colours are black, turquoise and white.

Hope this helps,

Richie

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.