T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Haven't yet seen this mentioned. can anyone tell me what the difference is in the mesh counts in a screen?
I went to get a screen made, and was asked what mesh size i wanted as he only had a certain type.
Now, ive purchased my own screens before at mclogans and noticed they had two different mesh counts, possibly more.
What's the differences and the benefits of the different counts?
Is it only that one is better if you have a more intricate design as it allows for a better print?
In honesty, i haven't really found a difference between them!
I know an expert here can enlighten me. If this has been talked about before- excuse my repeat question. :)
Dee

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm just learning myself but I picked up 125 mesh counts for my one color designs and am happy with them. This may or may not be a good analogy for you but I think of the mesh count in terms of screen resolution. Higher mesh counts equal more dots, which equals more detail.

That being said, you also have to take into account what you're screening on... Signs, for example, would need a higher screen mesh count then shirts.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Basically: high mesh count = higher resolution, less ink deposit, low mesh count = lower resolution, more ink deposit.

When printing on paper, for example, you don't need (or want) a lot of ink and you often want a detailed image - so you use a high mesh count. When printing on dark fabric you want more ink, and that comes at the cost of not being able to have quite as much fine detail in your image.

There are standard mesh counts for textile printing that are used most of the time, but it does vary depending on the substrate being printed on, the design being printed, and the ink being used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm now learning about this and it appears that the higher the mesh count the better the print especially when printing stuff like wedding invitations

1 - 12 of 12 Posts