T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have read all over that 110 mesh size is the most widely used for screen printing. At the same time the higher the mesh count the more detailed the design on the t, but the more time to expose.

Question:

What is the best balance of screen mesh count to quality print to exposure time?

Thanks to all.

·
Administrator
14,207 Posts
The reason why 110 is the most widely used screen is because it is the best balance of screen mesh count to quality print.

I expose all my screens the same time, regardless of screen count. I have not seen where exposure time has anything to do with the screen count.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
...the higher the mesh count the more detailed the design on the t, but the more time to expose.
That's backwards. A 110 mesh screen holds a thicker coat of emulsion than a 230 mesh screen. The thicker the coat, the longer it takes to fully expose the screen.

I use a 110 for white ink on dark shirts, it lays down more ink. If I print a second or third color on top of the white, a 230 is all the ink you need. A 110 on 110 is overkill.

If you are printing on white shirts, a 156 or 230 will work well.

If you are printing a dither or half-tone dot pattern, you will want to use a 230 or higher mesh to hold the smallest dots.

Choose the right screen based on what you need to accomplish, not the exposure time. The difference in exposure time between a 110 and 230 is about 10 percent on my system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts