T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I finally got everything set up to do some screen printing but when it came to burning my screen every time i go to wash out the stencil the other emulsion just sort of washes out already i used a shower with warm water so te pressure wasnt too high... and im exposing with a 1000w halogen light for bout ten mins....

i dont know how close to put it or how long i should burn for but

any help would be soooooo appreciated :)

· Administrator
18,442 Posts
Washing out is an indication that you are not exposing long enough.

On a standard sized screen, the light should be about 24 inches above the screen for 13 minutes or so.

Before you spoil too many screens, you may want to take one and exposure it at different times. Expose the entire screen for 10 minutes. Then cover up 3/4 of the screen with a piece of cardboard and expose for another minute. Then move the cardboard and cover up only 1/2 the screen and exposure for another minute, so on and so on. Whichever section washes out the best tells you the ideal exposure time.

· Registered
434 Posts
it all depends on the quality of the emulsion and the type of lightbulb you are using. i run an NUARC which is made my M&R and i only expose for a max of a minute and 20 seconds. that is all based on the type of printing i am doing and what type of inks i am using. if i am using a clear puff ink i coat the screens 3 times and inbetween each coat i let it dry so i have to expose longer. i would do some tests first. you and get an exposure gauge that will let you know how long you ahve to expose for. deffinitly a good thing to invest in.

· Administrator
18,442 Posts
Washing out is an indication that you are not exposing long enough.

On a standard sized screen, the light should be about 24 inches above the screen for 13 minutes or so.

Before you spoil too many screens, you may want to take one and exposure it at different times. Expose the entire screen for 10 minutes. Then cover up 3/4 of the screen with a piece of cardboard and expose for another minute. Then move the cardboard and cover up only 1/2 the screen and exposure for another minute, so on and so on. Whichever section washes out the best tells you the ideal exposure time.
I just got that you have a 1000 watt light. What I said above about times is for a 500 watt light.

Like Johnny suggested, why don't you give us more details on your exposure unit including a picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.