T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way that I can make this more professional looking like straighten up the letters and make them look more uniform with solid and equal looking lines? It's a signature from a client that she wants on a business card

I scanned it in, did image trace and messed with the anchor points and paths and this is the end result. Help, please.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
upload a pic of the original

you should use the pen tool and not the trace function for something like this
take a photo and paste it into your design program, then use the pen tool

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can improve the quality of image trace by experimenting with the settings for it, but for a signature you'll probably never get the final outcome you want.

As into the T suggests use the pen tool, but don't use it to create an outline of the signature as you'll then spend far too much time trying to align parallel lines to make it look nice.

Instead, use the pen tool to create the centre line within the flow of the signature and when you're happy with your accuracy use a stroke weight to give your pen line the perfect width along it's length.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I've done this in CorelDRAW like this:

1. As others suggested, manually trace paths along the center lines of the letters in the original scan. So like one long line that follows a long string of cursive letters, and separate lines for things like crosses on "T"s. So just like you would write it with a real pen, but just a hairline thick. Note, you may get acceptable results letting CorelDRAW centerline trace the writing on its own, or not.

2. Increase the thickness of the line to something that approximates the average thickness of the actual writing.

3. In CorelDRAW (don't know how/if to do in anything else), select Convert Outline to Object. Now instead of a single line with thickness, you have an object with a fill and an outline all around it.

4. Set the object fill to None, so you can see the scan underneath it. Set the outline to hairline and an easy to see color.

5. Tweak the path of the object outline to better correspond to the edges of the scanned writing.

6. Set a fill color. Done.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Is there a way that I can make this more professional looking like straighten up the letters and make them look more uniform with solid and equal looking lines? It's a signature from a client that she wants on a business card

I scanned it in, did image trace and messed with the anchor points and paths and this is the end result. Help, please.
You can do it with CorelDRAW 4 and higher using Bitmap Centerline trace. After tracing clean it up and adjust the nodes to your liking. Contour outside using desired value to make it fatter. Optional, (separate the contour. Delete the inner object.) Fill the object with black. I did two samples from your image using CorelDraw. Did not spend a lot of time adjusting the shape nodes.

Not sure if AI has Bitmap Centerline trace. Try using that function if there is one.

Use your original scan. Change it to high resolution then do bitmap Centerline trace and contour.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts