T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if in wrong place, I've reviewed other threads with this issue but the solutions don't seem to be giving me any answers.

Been getting sawtooth edges on any straight lines in my screens. I bought new screens and new emulsion assuming they were the culprits but its still occurring. Artwork is all vector so no problems with any of that.

Screens: 43T
Emulsion: Dirasol 25 (DYL33) stored in fridge

Having to resort to very fine screens to alleviate the issue at present but not a long term solution, appreciate any help.

Have a pic but no option to attach it????

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little ink in this screen as i photographed it before i cleaned it, but note the very distinct sawtooth, re-made this artwork on another finer screen but cant be my sole solution as its white on black and i need more coverage than the fine screen gives.

Attachments

· Registered
326 Posts
A little ink in this screen as i photographed it before i cleaned it, but note the very distinct sawtooth, re-made this artwork on another finer screen but cant be my sole solution as its white on black and i need more coverage than the fine screen gives.
How are you coating your screens? A thicker stencil is needed on lower mesh counts to avoid this issue.

· Registered
3,145 Posts
How are you coating your screens? A thicker stencil is needed on lower mesh counts to avoid this issue.
Yes. You don't need fine mesh to hold fine detail. What you need is a substantial layer of emulsion to separate the stencil opening away from the mesh and give the ink some space to regroup itself after it passes through the mesh.

And it's important that the coating of emulsion is on the correct side of the mesh, which is the side that faces the shirt. To accomplish this, put one or two strokes of emulsion on the shirt side first, then turn the screen around and put another one or two strokes on the squeegee side. This will force all the emulsion through the mesh and onto the shirt side where you want it. When you're done you should be able to see a smooth shiny surface on the wet emulsion on the shirt side.

Go back to your original mesh and coat your screens this way. It will make printing much easier. As you improve your technique you might want to go a little finer to get a softer feel on the prints. I use 160 mesh (64 in metric) for almost everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.