T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some sublimation ink from a UK supplier to use for my business and to sell as I got it at a good price. The ink is not made by Sawgrass. I put the ink on Ebay and made a couple of sales but tonight I find that Sawgrass has asked Ebay to remove my listing as it breaches their patent.

I have seen on this forum and around the internet Sawgrass only own the patent for sublimation ink for desktop printers and not printers over 44inches. Is there any truth to this? If so could I sell the ink if I sold it for large format printers only?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Most of the companies that are selling sublimation ink to large format printers have a licensed ink through Sawgrass. Sawgrass has choosen to lock down the desktop market to their products only. So I think you would be kicked off of eBay for selling ink to either one of the those markets.

You should probably talk to an attorney to get professional advice for your country.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
54 Posts
Most of the companies that are selling sublimation ink to large format printers have a licensed ink through Sawgrass.
Mark
I have a question. I know sawgass has a lock on the desk top market and they asked ebay to take off other inks. How are people selling sawgrass inks (with good install dates) at a lower price? Can all this ink be there over stock they are just getting rid of?
I would think sawgrass, would hit the roof on this also for under cutting there price.:confused:

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I have a question. I know sawgass has a lock on the desk top market and they asked ebay to take off other inks. How are people selling sawgrass inks (with good install dates) at a lower price? Can all this ink be there over stock they are just getting rid of?
I would think sawgrass, would hit the roof on this also for under cutting there price.:confused:
I would guess either its not really sawgrass ink or maybe making it up in shipping or some other way.

But they really can't stop someone from reselling it for less or more. ( Unless in contract with them).
I think that would fall under the First sale doctrine or whatever its called. Or at least thats my understanding of it.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Most of the companies that are selling sublimation ink to large format printers have a licensed ink through Sawgrass. Sawgrass has choosen to lock down the desktop market to their products only. So I think you would be kicked off of eBay for selling ink to either one of the those markets.

You should probably talk to an attorney to get professional advice for your country.

Best wishes,

Mark
So the Mutohs and Epson and other inks are really sawgrass ink relabeled ?
I know in the digital output magazine I get there are alot of different companies selling large format sub ink and I don't hink they are licensing from sawgrass on them. Just the imperssion given.

On the DSSI forum there were discussions about wide format and I thought over there the word was large format was a open market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.