T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a Sawgrass sg400 with a drive belt issue. It is about 5 years old, so with this going one, time to replace or pull an unused Epson 1400 off the shelf buy sub ink, and fire it up. But, I don't have an ICC profile for it, plus the pigment bulk ink could produce more clogs than the gel sub ink in the sg400 (or sg500 today) I wonder what you folks out there would tend to do, or what you are doing, I only sublimate occasionally, maybe a few pieces every other week or so, thanks in Advance!!

·
Administrator
15,045 Posts
As far as profiles, you would simply get that from whoever you buy your ink from. If they don't have one, get your ink from someone else who does.

You will have clogging issues using your printer so infrequently. Did you have any clogging issues with gel ink.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
If you are going to use the printer infrequently, fire it up one a week and print a simple "nozzle exercise" consisting of a rectangle of each color that is at least as tall as the print head is wide. Use the highest quality setting. This has kept my pigment, sublimation, and transparency printers working well. But it's still a good idea to have a cleaning kit on hand: head cleaning fluid and an adapter and/or syringe to clear the head. That allowed me to revive a printer that had been idle for several years--though you can't count on getting away with that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good advice thank you!!

Since Sub ink is pigment, I have only used dye ink (I think it is thinner) I have no experience with pigment sub ink (except the gel ink found in Sawgrass ink) would you mind sharing with me where you buy your sub ink? And what model pf printer you use for sublimation? I have an older Epson 1400 that is not getting used, suppliers like Cobra Ink, indicates that some of their sub ink is not compatible with older models. Thank you for responding!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts