T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first post hope I'm not asking something that is common knowledge. I tried to search for the answer, but didn't have any real luck. If I'm just dumb, many apologies. Here goes--

I've built my graphics in Adobe Illustrator at 1800 x 2100 pixels. I've then saved the file as a .png file. Opening it in Photoshop it's listed as 72 DPI. I'm told the best DPI for a t-shirt is 300, so I converted the image to 300 DPI in the Image Size window.

This says it changed the document size to 6 Inches by 7 inches. The website that I'm uploading to says to use 1800 by 2100 which they list at 12 inches by 14 inches.

Upon uploading the file everything looks good, it's the right size there. It retains the 1800x2100 listed size. However it's shown as 6 inches by 7 inches instead of the 12x14.

Do I need to start with an image that is 3600 pixels by 4200 pixels so that when I change it to 300 DPI it is at 12 inches by 14 inches, or am I ok with what I have?

Also, is it possible to skip the photoshop part and just have illustrator save my .png file as 300 dpi?

I greatly appreciate the help, thank you very much for your time.

· Registered
109 Posts
Apparently the website you're uploading to is only suggesting a resolution of 150ppi. This is why when you adjust to the more preferred resolution of 300ppi it's coming in at 1/2 size. 300ppi is a much better choice, furthermore I can't imagine a website dictating the exact final size of your printed piece so I suspect this is merely a guideline.

Do I need to start with an image that is 3600 pixels by 4200 pixels so that when I change it to 300 DPI it is at 12 inches by 14 inches, or am I ok with what I have?
Next time just start at 300ppi in the first place. Whether or not you are ok with what you have really depends upon the nature of your art. You can upsample your art in Photoshop to 300ppi at your final size or you could leave it at 150ppi as the website suggests. It really depends on your art whether or not the results will be acceptable.

Also, is it possible to skip the photoshop part and just have illustrator save my .png file as 300 dpi?
A final output of 300ppi raster kinda sounds more like skip Illustrator use Photoshop to me. It might be helpful to know why you are starting in Illustrator in the first place.

Hope this helps. ~The Professor

· Registered
3,506 Posts
why not just set your document size in illustrator to what you need for output: 12 x 14 inches to begin with instead of ppi? i also like 360 dpi resolution. why are you opening the file in photoshop? are you editing the graphic post illustrator? explain the website you are uploading your graphic to. is it a tshirt website you are uploading your custom graphic to, to be printed? why a .png file and not an .ai file since that's the app you created it in? many questions. please explain.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thank you so much for the quick replies. Apologies for not including enough info, very new to this.

The site I am using is Zazzle, I think I may have found my error. I misread this page,

Image Guidelines

I guess 150 dpi is recommended, I have read that 300 dpi will make for a much better shirt, should I adjust?

I started in Illustrator at 300 dpi with an 1800x2100 image, but Zazzle asks for a .png file and the only way I'm aware to save to that using Illustrator leaves me with an image that is 72 dpi. That's why I was going into Photoshop to change the dpi of the .png file to 300 dpi. Which was leaving me with the 6x7 inch image.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this and I'm just going through needless steps. Thank you again for your time, finding all kinds of great info on this site.

· Registered
197 Posts
Illustrator does not work in dpi. It is a vector based program. You should design the art in Illustrator at the size you want, in this case 1800 x 2100. If zazzle can accept .eps files, just save your Illustrator file as an eps. That will keep it vector based.

If it has to be a .png file, you can export it in Illustrator as a .png. Set the resolution (dpi) upon exporting to 150 and preserve transparency.

No need to open Photoshop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.