T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone believes it to be a good idea to hire an independant sales rep to sell blanks to retail stores ? I hear that these type of people are very good at what they do, and I definetly believe in allowing people or hiring people to do what they do best. :D

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The fact is reps take you on as a product. You have to convince them that your product will work into their business. I have a rep and we are always going to and fro and he is related. reps normally take 15% of the sale. A lot including mine do the shows. Mine even produces a few shows back east. So it is not like you call them up and say I want to hire you. They carry so many lines and they know the other reps from the show. and you know what.. Tees are one item they hate.. At the big shows their are numerous tee vendors and a lot of the stuff comes from over seas and is mass produced so the competition is just to much for them to try to sell your shirts which you need to sell for at least $5.00 buck when they are selling shirts at the shows for $3.50 and making money. So he sells my bags. I am happy to report he just got my tote into a hotel in New Hampshire. I had to design a special logo for them.. I am having the design made for me at First Edition. My rep like the new design which he feels is unlike any other thing he sees at the shows.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
and you know what.. Tees are one item they hate.. At the big shows their are numerous tee vendors and a lot of the stuff comes from over seas and is mass produced so the competition is just to much for them to try to sell your shirts which you need to sell for at least $5.00 buck when they are selling shirts at the shows for $3.50 and making money
It's probably good to note that not all sales reps hate taking on new t-shirt lines. Some specialize in it and welcome new t-shirt lines. You just have to do your research.

Lou's right though, you are probably going to have to "sell yourself/yourproduct" to the sales rep during the "hiring" process.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rodney said:
It's probably good to note that not all sales reps hate taking on new t-shirt lines. Some specialize in it and welcome new t-shirt lines. You just have to do your research.

Lou's right though, you are probably going to have to "sell yourself/yourproduct" to the sales rep during the "hiring" process.

Any suggestions on how to find a good sales rep?

Thanks!

·
2,957 Posts
Call retailers. I've found that they are glad to pass along info on good reps.

There's also a service online called rephunter.net. It's pretty expensive, though.

Also, I've got a pretty lengthy post about it somewhere. It was a while ago.

It might be one of the ones Rodney linked to above.
Check it out.

Edit to say that it is definitely one of the ones Rodney linked to!;) :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts