T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a '4-color', 2-station silver press a few months ago and was sadly determined to get all I could out of it. One color designs looked ok, but registration always slipped mercilessly on any multi-color design. All the posts here extol the virtues of the micro-reg heads and side clamps. I thought I'd split the difference and order two of each, hoping a mere $600 investment would get me a decent 4-color print. No such luck. Been struggling with getting them to work together. Micro-reg pops out if you extend it too far and the side clamps are super long and at their shortest reach just past the micro-reg's furthest extension (without the screw coming undone and they suck getting back on...I'm going to try again after this. I have no choice at this point. This is just venting). But really, what's a '4-color' machine that doesn't actually reproduce a 4-color design without a +$500 upgrade? And I thought I was being smart by buying two of each (2 clamps & 2 reg heads) but 'surprise!' the two upgrades are not very compatible. Ryonet needs to be more forthcoming with how useful their upgrades are precisely because the reduced functionality of their products (micro-reg/side clamp COMBOS are standard on a lot of industrial machines) always leaves their customer needing more. I'd appreciate help from somebody who doesn't work at Ryonet but at this point, I ain't picky. Wish me luck! Thanks!
PS. Ok, while I'm on it, here goes. What's up with not warning folks about using water-based? Water-based works for like, an hour, then you have to clean your screens or they clogged and ruined. And don't clean too hard cause water-based inks eat your burned image and you'll wash your image clean away (yey!). Anybody having great luck with water-based doing commercial runs, I'd love to hear from. Aside from misting, I'm having trouble getting more than a few prints after registration without having to wash the screens. Otherwise, screen destruction. Thanks x2.

·
Registered
851 Posts
So I bought a '4-color', 2-station silver press a few months ago and was sadly determined to get all I could out of it. One color designs looked ok, but registration always slipped mercilessly on any multi-color design. All the posts here extol the virtues of the micro-reg heads and side clamps. I thought I'd split the difference and order two of each, hoping a mere $600 investment would get me a decent 4-color print. No such luck. Been struggling with getting them to work together. Micro-reg pops out if you extend it too far and the side clamps are super long and at their shortest reach just past the micro-reg's furthest extension (without the screw coming undone and they suck getting back on...I'm going to try again after this. I have no choice at this point. This is just venting). But really, what's a '4-color' machine that doesn't actually reproduce a 4-color design without a +$500 upgrade? And I thought I was being smart by buying two of each (2 clamps & 2 reg heads) but 'surprise!' the two upgrades are not very compatible. Ryonet needs to be more forthcoming with how useful their upgrades are precisely because the reduced functionality of their products (micro-reg/side clamp COMBOS are standard on a lot of industrial machines) always leaves their customer needing more. I'd appreciate help from somebody who doesn't work at Ryonet but at this point, I ain't picky. Wish me luck! Thanks!
PS. Ok, while I'm on it, here goes. What's up with not warning folks about using water-based? Water-based works for like, an hour, then you have to clean your screens or they clogged and ruined. And don't clean too hard cause water-based inks eat your burned image and you'll wash your image clean away (yey!). Anybody having great luck with water-based doing commercial runs, I'd love to hear from. Aside from misting, I'm having trouble getting more than a few prints after registration without having to wash the screens. Otherwise, screen destruction. Thanks x2.
you need to use water resistant emulsion. make sure you flood your screen so it doesn't dry on you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. Will try both. Just got off the phone with Ryonet and it looks like they're going to take back my side clamps for micro-reg with minimum fees on my end. Still gotta finish this job asap, though. Let's hope all goes well. I don't want to think I invested +2k in a flawed system. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
328 Posts
....Sorry too hear you are having problems. When someone does a search and finds this thread; ,please speak about how many jobs you've done over 1 color. ever used the micro and the like as well. Not punching you in the head as it were. Just saying if you have never screen printed before it is going to be fun to learn any system.
As I said not trying too start a fight
laters

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would like to address the problems you had with registration slipping out. I too had similar problems on the Silver Press, particularly with aluminum frames. I resolved it by getting some "step tread", the adhesive sandpaper that is applied to stairs, and mounting it on the top part of my clamp. It works like a charm and I have not had a single registration issue since. Previously every job would slowly go out of registration just from the repeated turning of the screens...even though I was not slamming them around. The micros might resolve the problem (don't know for sure since I don't use them) since you can seat the screen all the way back into the clamp.

With a little practice and patience you can achieve some pretty tight registration doing it manually and the Silver Press will hold it.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a odyssey workhorse and the registration used to jump for no reason while I was printing.
I realized that the knobs for the clamps as well as the micros were not tight enough.
I used to tighten as much as I could by hand...but I now use a large monkey wrench to grasp the knobs and tighten the living blood out of them. I did chip one knob a tiny piece fell off but that was my fault for not getting a good grip with the wrench.

Reactions: Rodney
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.