T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
First and foremost, I cannot find a word that can explain my gratitude to the forum. I am about to start making shirts and wanted to ask for opinions on different matters that I cannot find anywhere else. I am inclining towards making vinyl shirts and wanted to ask the following:
1) Is is worth getting a plotter/cutter vs. a plain cutter for someone who wants to make shirts as a home business??
2) What cutters or cutter/plotters are known to be reliable and are worth the money ??
3) I see alot of choices on ebay that sound too good to be true. The models that I have seen are Roland(which I have heard to be reliable), VE panther and bobcat, which I dont know anything about. And finally JSI which runs a great ad that sounds great but the price $800 for machine, complete software and 1 roll of each color possible to start just sounds too good taking into consideration that the machine that is most recommended is the Roland that goes for about 2k alone. I need an opinion on any of these if anyone has had experiences with either, or know someone who has.
4) Are cutters specifically made for certain products such as signs vs. t-shirts or can they make interchangeable??
Thank you all for all the previous postings. I have taken your advice as the good word.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I just wanted to welcome you to the T-Shirt Forums!

I'm sure one of our members that is more knowledgeable about plotters/cutters will chime in here with their opinions/advice.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Plotters are interchangable. With a plotter you can cut all types of materials. I have the roland sx-15 and so far have had no problems.

If you are going to get a plotter, you will need to get one that is at least 15", since heat transfer vinyl is usually a minimum of 15" long. The $600 machines are for the smaller sized machines. The machine that you would need would cost $800-$1000. Only get a plotter if you are very serious about your new business since it is a big investment.

The cheaper way to start would be to get plasticol or vinyl transfers made for you, which you can then apply as orders come in.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it tremendously. Would you have a recommended reputable company that deals with vinyl transfer orders or do you think that is cheaper to buy it locally???. Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts