T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here comes some brutal but constructive critiques:

1) The site design itself is a bit of an eyesore, and would prevent me from wanting to make a purchase from your site. I suggest revamping the design itself. The gradients in my opinion, are a big nono.

2) Every page I click on, I get a message to "install language packs". I can't check to see what language packs you are using, since I am at work and don't have admin rights to install.

3) Your site map could have been layed out a little bit more organized. Navigation is a very important.

4) More pictures! For a site that wants to sell graphic images on tee's, you need to showcase what you sell. A simple graphic you made in photoshop wont cut it. People like to see quality.

5) I find your target market unclear, and although I know that Yin/Yang means Boy/Girl.....many dont. So I would specify that somewhere, or put it under your button.

Here are some Pros:

1) You have plenty of contact info
2) Your backend structure is decent
3) You have a cool logo.
4) You give enough info so that the user can feel comfortable in purchasing...I think the only thing holding you back is the design.

Theres my 2 cents....hope you find it useful!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
PROS:
  • lots of designs
  • search engine friendly URLs
  • privacy policy
  • contact page
  • refund policy listed
  • sizing charts
  • good shopping cart
  • payment methods listed
  • good product descriptions
CONS:
  • likely copyright/trademark infringing designs
  • search engine friendly URLs don't have TITLE tags for each t-shirt design
  • too much negative wording on shipping page regarding your print method and other available methods
  • refund policy page wording is a bit misleading
  • looks like all you sell is white t-shirts. Takes too long to realize that the customer can select their shirt color (they don't even know until they select a garment type, which they may decide NOT to do if they don't want a white t-shirt)
  • unnecessary use of AJAX on the add to cart pages. Some things a customer just expects in the normal course of buying things online. Seeing all their options available on one page without having to select a first option is one of them.
  • I would suggest putting all available shirt colors on EACH product page and include a link to the size chart right above the size drop down box on each product page.
  • I would get rid of the AJAX and just use a regular product option dropdown box.
  • I would get rid of the AmericanApparel link on all pages. Maybe just on the styles page. You can mention in the product descriptions that you are using AA garments. You could be losing customers via that link.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rodney, could you define the copyright and trademark issues you find problematic? The reason I ask is because one reason for us being in Canada is the very liberal copyright and trademark rules/laws. Specifically the one's that deal with the fair use of the same in satirical and parody situations. Very much along the lines of a comedian joking about this product or that product using the exact product name in their monolugue. Unlike the fair use employed when t-shirt designers change the name of the product, while maintaining the design elements of the logo etc., i.e. Haterade instead of Gatorade.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Rodney, could you define the copyright and trademark issues you find problematic? The reason I ask is because one reason for us being in Canada is the very liberal copyright and trademark rules/laws.
I'm not a lawyer, but the big corporations who have them probably would have problems with you using their logos and trademarked brands to make a profit.

If you've already spoken to a lawyer in Canada that says your designs are fine, then you're probably covered. In general there is a difference in parody/satire in dramatic performances and parody and use of trademarks on merchandise for sale.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Scrubbing Bubbles, and the PGA Tour logo are all registered trademarks in both the US and Canada.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but this comes from the Canadian trademark website:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/tm/tm_gd_basic-e.html#section01

Trade-marks come to represent not only actual wares and services, but the reputation of the producer. As such, they are considered valuable intellectual property. A registered trade-mark can be protected through legal proceedings from misuse and imitation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rodney I dig where you're coming from, but its not just my attorney, its a long list of precedent that's been established. Check tshirthell, they have a ****tles shirt, something to do with Dominoes Pizza, an upside down golden arches.. Bustedtees has the MBA shirt. A t-shirt blog I came across has a picture of Anne Hatheway wering a Fed/Up shirt at the MTV awards. Hell, even VW uses the re-worked of phrase 'Pimp ze auto' in their commercials, and we all know what that is in reference to. I guess what i'm saying is that I'll take my chances.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Rodney I dig where you're coming from, but its not just my attorney, its a long list of precedent that's been established.
I don't think any of that list is an actual "precedent" from a ruled on court case.

Some sites do things that are illegal, some sites have permission from the trademark holder, some sites have attorneys to argue. Just because you see it done, doesn't mean that it is legal or authorized.

I was just pointing out what I saw as problematic as you asked. From my experience, those designs will get you in trouble. Other members here with similar "parody" designs have been served by cease and desist orders from the corporations. They have big legal teams that do searches looking for stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I just moved this thread out of the forums because it cuts a little too close to our forum guidelines:

Be Ethical!

The T-Shirt Forums website: resources, articles and discussions are based on basic, appropriate professional ethical behavior. Unethical behavior: stealing other members intellectual property, copyright/trademark violations, spamming other members via email or Private Message, warez discussion and other illegal activites are completely inappropriate and will result in the loss of membership at The T-Shirt Forums.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts