T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gurus,

I've had issues since purchase with my Roland GX24 when cutting consecutive prints.

After I sent to cutter one image it cuts fine. However if I send a second image to cut tools paper back over the previously cut image and begins cutting ruining both images. I've tried the following as well.

Cut image then feed paper forward to cut off image. Then feed paper back to original starting point. When I cut the next print the cutter pulls the vinyl back past the protective cutting strip and begins cutting on the strip as vinyl was too far back. I have to hit pause and cancel printing.

At this time my only work around is after each individual cut I must go to menu select unsetup and reset up using roll so that it remeasures vinyl then it will print correct.

This end with illustrator plugin and direct through cad work live with vectorcut software. I've tried with both Mac and PC will sa!me issues. Any help would be appreciated.

· Registered
330 Posts
I am not sure if this helps, but:

1.) Check if there is a firmware update for you on the Roland website. I had some "freezing" issues until the new firmware was installed.

2.) With the new firmware I still have one issue. If I always send new files from the computer, the cutter works perfectly. It deletes the previous image and cuts the new one. If I send a new image, and then try to use the "re-plot" function from the GX24 menu, it cuts BOTH images, the new one AND the previous one as well, ruining the vinyl. So, I can use the re-plot function but only for the first image (if I need more than one run of that). If I have a second image, I have to send it from the computer, and cannot use the re-plot, unless I always clear the memory with a switch-off, switch-on cycle.

You have a somewhat similar issue: Your GX24 cuts two images when there is only one to be cut.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I'll look to see if the firmware is updated to see if that helps.

When I send my image to the cutter it does only cut one. However it is when I send a second image it backs the vinyl up and over cuts over the previous cut image. It is almost if it forgets where the print head is at.

For instance it will do this even just on names. Lets say I send the first image (name) "John" to the cutter. It cuts fine, then stops. Regardless if I feed the paper slightly forward so it's past the current cut image or leave where it finished, when I send the next image let's say (name) "Paul" the GX24 rolls (reverses the vinyl). Usually the cut will begin over the previous image or if it was small it will start cutting off the vinyl in the guard strip.

I have a question if you can answer. Do you have to build a certain margin into the bottom or top section of your image and plan for that when cutting? Or will the cutter prints is on screen if you say your length is 10 inches it will allow you to cut right to that edge? Not sure if you understand what I mean but any help would be great.

· Registered
330 Posts
Do you set new origins between cuts? If not, this can be the problem. Cut "John", feed the vinyl forward, push the "Origin" button (for at least 1-2 sec.), send "Paul". It should work...

To your second question:

You don't have to build a certain vertical margin but if you do, it is easier to cut off the vinyl. The cutter is WYSIWYG if you use the CutStudio software. You set the origin > cut the image > set the new origin > cut the new image. That's it. Everything will be placed to to exact location (as the cut file shows on the monitor).

Normally I put a narrow horizontal rectangle on the top of the image and let the cutter to cut it. Before I cut off the vinyl, I weed out the small rectangle, and it helps to cut the vinyl straight by hand. After the hand cut, I reposition the vinyl and set a NEW ORIGIN for the next cut...

(The horizontal margins should be set however. I am sure you know that because you mentioned it earlier.)

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try the orgin button this weekend. I never used that before hell still trying to figure the thing out. I used to use a Stakia 6 to just cut names but my customers often come back for one "replacement jerseys/shirts" because they are usually adult sports teams that change players every month or so. So the convenience of cutting a few images and heat applying is great. I probably didn't need the GX24 but I like flashy new stuff lol. I just haven't even used most of its potential! I'll try the orgin and let you guys know. As allows thanks.

· Registered
10,342 Posts
If the vinyl feeds so when it backs up the vinyl goes up in the air behind the machine it will case the vinyl under the blade to lift off the cutting strip and. A use the problem you describe.

· Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, it's the origin button. Once you run the medium forward to where you want it to start cutting the second name and press origin, the GX64 will ignore the part of the medium you have already cut.
It is good practise to do one job at time tho' - cut it off and when you're ready for the next job, re-set the plotter and click origin, that way you know exactly where you are on each cut.

· Registered
1 Posts
If you want to cut another image on the same roll, cut off the original cut. Hold down the up and left arrows to position the blade in the start position. Then, HOLD THE ORIGIN BUTTON down until the LCD flashes. Now, your new cut will start where the blade is located.
Another option is to look under Edit, and select "Multiple Copy...". There, you can set the numbers you want, both across and vertical. The machine will then cut the quantity you've selected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.