T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
What are your oppinions on the Roland GX-24 Vinyl Cutter? I am currently using an Epson 1280 w/MIS Perpetual Archival Inks, A Stahls Mighty Press & Coastal Brand Opaque Transfers. I have recieved numerous orders but two have been cancelled because "The distributors demand perfect uniformity in product quality" I.E. hand-cut designs just aren't good enough. In addition to this, I have had mutlitple customers complain about the fact that I cannot create transparent portions (which I assume would taken care of by the cutter). So -- I've run into a wall with my business and was wondering whether in the oppinion of this board it would make more sense to buy this $1700 cutter, or use that $1700 to invest in another method of producing t-shirts.
Thanks for you advice,
Josh

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
[ In addition to this, I have had mutlitple customers complain about the fact that I cannot create transparent portions (which I assume would taken care of by the cutter).

Could explain what you mean by transparent portions? Are you talking about the fact that with digital transfer paper...open areas within the design dont show the blank because of the transfer paper. I think the cutter will cut out your design as long as it has an optical eye. I dont know if it will cut out areas within the design that have no printing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David,
Those transparent areas within the design are exactly what I'm talking about. Are you sure that a cutter w/an optical eye wont be able to remove those portions too?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm partial to it of course, but I have tested it against other models and I highly recommend it. And as long as you create the cut line within your design, it will cut it. As far as registartion goes the machine is right on and you should not have a problem at all. Another reason, I like this cutter is because of it's ability to cut tackle twill for applique work. It does offer a lot of bang for your buck:)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Josh...so say on a tribal design it will cut out each and every transparent area within the design? Now if thats the case things are getting better and better. So this thing will follow say old english text and cut everything and not just contour cut the word or phrase? By the way...thanks for the samples and my press is up and running like a champ.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It will cut everything that you create in vector art. Keep in mind that if you try to get to detailed with Old E text and such the opaque paper probably won't be able to perform properly. However, if you want to cut a tribal design or text and it is sized properly, it does an awesome job. I guess a good way to put it is, you are only restricted by the material or paper you are using, not the cutter.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I wish they did make an upgrade kit, but unfortunately they don't. The feature is built into the "brains" of the cutter so it would require a new unit. Definitely something to consider though, when you think about what it will bring to the table.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Josh,
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any photos of shirts you've made using this technology? Also -- would it be possible to cut regular paper, flyers, business cards, etc. w/this cutter?

·
Registered
140 Posts
[
I have recieved numerous orders but two have been cancelled because "The distributors demand perfect uniformity in product quality
"

I have a GX24/Epson1280 setup and it works great. I use it to do samples and one offs to show my customers and this has really been a great sales tool.
I have found out however that if you add up the cost of the opaque sheet, and the time involved in loading the printer/cutter. Then add the weeding time. Then take into account that the opaque sheet is not very durable and adds undesireable hand to the design.
I have determined that I am definately money ahead getting plastisol transfers made up to do any quantity over 12 pieces. I can press 12 shirts in 20 minutes while talking on the phone.
I totally endorse the GX24. It is a fine machine. What I don't understand is why an 11x17 sheet of opaque paper (9X13 is max design size because the cutter requires the rest to hold the sheet in place) Should cost me more than the t-shirt.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Loftyendeavors said:
Josh,
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any photos of shirts you've made using this technology? Also -- would it be possible to cut regular paper, flyers, business cards, etc. w/this cutter?
I will try to get a picture to post up for you today. Cutting business cards, regular paper etc. would not work on this type of machine. It can only cut materials that are 2 ply. The top layer being the one that can be cut.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
StitchShoppe said:
["

I have a GX24/Epson1280 setup and it works great. I use it to do samples and one offs to show my customers and this has really been a great sales tool.
I have found out however that if you add up the cost of the opaque sheet, and the time involved in loading the printer/cutter. Then add the weeding time. Then take into account that the opaque sheet is not very durable and adds undesireable hand to the design.
I have determined that I am definately money ahead getting plastisol transfers made up to do any quantity over 12 pieces. I can press 12 shirts in 20 minutes while talking on the phone.
I totally endorse the GX24. It is a fine machine. What I don't understand is why an 11x17 sheet of opaque paper (9X13 is max design size because the cutter requires the rest to hold the sheet in place) Should cost me more than the t-shirt.
I can see your point about the plastisol transfers, but I would assume this is only true as far as the cost comparison goes, on 1 or 2 color designs. Is this accurate?

Also, have you ever tried using the inkjet opaque material on the roll? Also there are some other medias out there, that are much more durable than inkjet transfer paper, but these medias usually require a large format eco-sol printer or a color laser copier that does not use fuser oil.

The cutter should be able to handle a larger print area than 9 x 13" as well. I am going to a trade show in California tomorrow and will find out from Roland the specifics on how to do this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
[
The cutter should be able to handle a larger print area than 9 x 13" as well. I am going to a trade show in California tomorrow and will find out from Roland the specifics on how to do this.
[/QUOTE]

I think the only solution would be to add some type of carrier under the 11 x 17. that extends beyond the top layer. Like you do with Duracut. You are correct but 90% of my work is 1 to 3 colors, on dark shirts but the # of colors is also a point to consider. I'm sorry but I still feel if the price of the opaque paper was lower a 'lot' more would be sold. UPS always makes their money though wether you are buying plastisol, or blank opaque.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While I understand your point about cost, I aim to produce short runs of designs which have far more than 4 colors. Also, the GX-24 seems to give you good versatility when considering that you can use Vinyl transfers for the more simple designs (which should have a high amt. of durability from what I've heard).
Thanks all for your help.
Glad to be a part of the board.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I know nothing about cutters; would I be correct in thinking the depth they can cut to is extremely precise and that whatever two ply material you are using doesn't need to be thick? (basically I have in find a material (ruby film if you know it) about the thickness of a typical sheet of acetate/film/mylar/card/paper etc.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you use a GX-24 to cut Blue Grid transfer paper and weed that paper out or is the Blue Grid too delicate to withstand the weeding process? Exactly how would the process

What other opaque transfer papers are an option that wouldn't have too stiff a hand and have durability if Blue Grid isn't a option. work?

Sure wish badalou would make a video of the process. :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Solmu said:
I know nothing about cutters; would I be correct in thinking the depth they can cut to is extremely precise and that whatever two ply material you are using doesn't need to be thick? (basically I have in find a material (ruby film if you know it) about the thickness of a typical sheet of acetate/film/mylar/card/paper etc.)
Thats a good question Lewis. I have a Cx-24 its the older model without the optical eye. I have only cut sign vinyl and heatpress viny at pressure settings of 75-110. I know the cutters have pressure settings up to 300 and higher obviously for denser materials. The cutters cut a variety of products from paint mask to sandblast mask etc. I would think any two ply material within reason would be ok.
Pm Josh at Imprintables he would probably give you a list of what the plotters can or cant do.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
At the moment it's just an idle thought, but I'll definitely chase it up if I ever decide to get serious with it (ruby film is a UV blocking film, so if it is compatible you could use the cutter to make a positive and then expose it for screenprinting - since posting that message earlier I've read a couple of things that make it sound like some people do do this).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can I cut single ply heat transfer material with the gx-24? I have some imprintables ink jet sheets but they are only 1 ply - not 2 like the heat press vinyl - when I cut thru the ink jet sheets is that not going to carve into the protection strip?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts