T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I have just recently got a Roland GX-24 vinyl cutter and it is giving me one problem. The vinyl roll that I am using keeps getting loose and leaves the right pinch roller. I do not have a stand for this and just use a desk. Could it possibly be the very very slight unevenness of the desk? It seems to usually come off the right pinch roller but occasionally the left. Is there any other reason possible? Does it have to do with the stand? Just frustrated cause I have some orders to fill and I sometimes waste vinyl because I try to do a long sheet roll and it comes off the track. Please get back to me asap. Thanks guys! :eek:)

Jeff

·
Registered
350 Posts
You have the right pinch roller on the white area correct? This is where the grit roller is. I'd also shim the machine level to be safe. I don't have that machine yet (using a Stika SV-12) but plan to very soon!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the right pinch roller on the white area correct? This is where the grit roller is. I'd also shim the machine level to be safe. I don't have that machine yet (using a Stika SV-12) but plan to very soon!

Yes, I do have the vinyl on the white area. Its actually really far in the middle so that if it starts to head that way, then it will compensate for the lack of stability in the rolling. I have been looking a the Roland stand and I wonder if that would be the problem? hmmm....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah when I buy mine I'm getting the stand with it. The GX-24 has a big footprint when on a desk, but on the roland stand not much at all. Also it can be rolled out of the way if necessary. A bit pricey at $300 ($150-$200 would be more like it), but made for it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Are you sure that the vinyl is in straight? If it's not, it will creep over to one side or the other. If you have a long job, it will come off the roller.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Are you using the tray that came with the cutter?
There would be the $64 question, if your just laying the vinyl on the table or floor it could also cause this problem, once you cut the sheet unevenly and try to line up the next job by that sheet cut you'll be off every time.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
One more thing I was just reading in the manual (getting ready for my own purchase), it states you have to pull the amount of material you'll be using off the roll. A bit difficult to explain but there's a picture on page 53 of the manual showing what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
996 Posts
John: That's so you don't have the "walking vinyl" problem. If I have let say 24 designs to cut, I just cut say 4 or 6 so I can stop and line up the vinyl under the rollers again. My eyes are not what they used to be. ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you sure that the vinyl is in straight? If it's not, it will creep over to one side or the other. If you have a long job, it will come off the roller.

Hi,

thanks for responding back, yes I do line the vinyl up. i use the grid lines on the front and back to reassure myself that it is straight.

·
Registered
996 Posts
When you put the rollers down, can you pull the vinyl through? Could be that there may not be enough down force on the upper rollers. Just a thought.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does the roll itself come off the tray in the back as well when you are cutting?

The bottom pinch rollers... do they still feel rough or are they smooth?
None of the vinyl that feed into the machine is touching the side of the machine right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the roll itself come off the tray in the back as well when you are cutting?

The bottom pinch rollers... do they still feel rough or are they smooth?
None of the vinyl that feed into the machine is touching the side of the machine right?

Yes they are rough. My Roland Vinyl cutter is brand new and is barely used. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you put the rollers down, can you pull the vinyl through? Could be that there may not be enough down force on the upper rollers. Just a thought.
How do you change the down force of the rollers since its just a lever? I know when I put the rollers down i cant put the vinyl through. if that is what you mean. thanks!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Not sure but if your cutter is new and under warrentee, I would call Roland about your problem. Could be that something got misaligned in shipping. If they cant walk you through things, they should replace it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I don't think you can change the down force of the rollers. Just the down force of the blade.

You didn't answer the question regarding whether the whole vinyl roll gets knocked off of the back tray when cutting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think you can change the down force of the rollers. Just the down force of the blade.

You didn't answer the question regarding whether the whole vinyl roll gets knocked off of the back tray when cutting.

Hi,

Sorry about not getting back to you any sooner, but to answer your question. No, the whole vinyl roll remains on the back tray when it is cutting and is rolling perfectly fine beside the fact that it get misaligned. Not sure what else could be the problem besides trying out the roland stand and fixing the very very small unevenness of the desk. Not sure what else I could possibly do. Thanks for all your guys' help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think this is a bit late, I am a new subscriber but have been reading posts on here for over a year. I have the GX-24, with a stand and I have gotten so mad to the point I am online looking for ways to get this problem with the machine to stop. I use the machine also to cut vehicle decals and it really isnt fun when you get 6 feet into vinyl and the machine feeds the vinyl through crooked and it ruins that much vinyl. I have found one way to make it halfway work is to put a table in front of the machine, so the vinyl rolls out onto the table, i found a perfect plastic folding table at Home Depot that fits and is 8 ft long to let the vinyl roll out onto it, but the problem still happens. I am almost just dissatisfied about the 2,000+ dollars I spent on the machine and the stand.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I understand your problem. The only thing I can say is to give yourself enough room, that is if you are not using the whole width of the vinyl, set your pinch rollers in as far as you can. That way you give yourself more room for the vinyl to "roam". JMO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts