T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been having a problem with this cutter for a while now so I decided to sit down today and try to figure it out. So far, no luck. I’ve changed the blade, blade holder and cutting strip. The new blade spins easily in the new holder. I have added a drop of oil for lubrication. The force is set to 70 with a .25 mm offset with a 45 degree blade. Smoothing is set to off. My test cuts are weeding properly, but the lines in the cross aren’t straight and the corners are not square. It does the same thing no matter where I set the origin so that eliminates the cutting strip. It also cuts off rounded corners on anything I try to cut. I seem to have gotten rid of the skipping problem, but this one is beyond me. Anyone have this happen before? I’ve attached pics of the test cuts, an AI file with the anchor points and a test cut of that file.

Attachments

· Registered
155 Posts
Just a guess.... It looks to me like this was originally a bitmap that was traced into a vector.
Zoom really closely into the design and see if it still looks razor sharp. If it was traced into a vector, the image will have to be cleaned up in order to cut crisply.

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't got a GS-24 but I have a Silver Bullet cutter and rounding of the corners like that is almost always due to incorrect blade offset. Double and triple check that you've set this right for the blade you are using.
I have worked on this issue before here and there and I have literally spent the entire day trying to fix something that was ridiculously simple. So, I went back through and reviewed everything. I increased the force in steps up to 110g. I changed out the blade...several times. I even opened a brand new package thinking maybe I got a bad batch. There was barely a change. I ran my finger over the cutting strip, it's brand new so as I expected it was perfect. Checked the blade holder again for debris and ease of motion, check. Went back to check the offset and low and behold somehow it was set to .025, not .25. There was my problem. I backed the force back off to 70g and I have perfect cuts. I am so pleased to say that my problem is resolved and my Roland works as perfectly as my GX-24 always did. I hope that this one will now run as flawlessly as my old one. :)

· Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again. I will keep that in mind if it ever does this to me again. I had the GX-24 for several years and never had to change the settings on it. It ran like a dream from the day I got it until the day I sold it. This one runs just like it now. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.