T-Shirt Forums banner

Roland CutStudio (general questions/complaints)

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dtogs 
I just got a new Roland GX-24 and I've having a hard time figuring out CutStudio.

Maybe someone can help?

1) How do I show the rulers? It's such a pain to try and size stuff quickly without a ruler.
There is no ruler function in CutStudio. Clicking on the Properties button or right-clicking on the design and selecting properties will give the opportunity to set specific size. Otherwise, Nick is correct above.

2) Is there a way to automatically get the sheet size onload? Right now every single time i want to cut something I've got to go through a 5 click process (Cutting Setup -> Properties -> Get from Machine -> Ok -> Ok) just to get the page sized!
If it's the same size every time the size can be loaded by default by going into the driver properties through the control panel in Windows. If the sheet size is different every time, the size must be pulled from the cutter each time material is loaded.

Right now I'm pretty disappointed with Roland. I already have another (non-Roland) machine using Mimaki FineCut (for illustrator). And it's about 10 times quicker/easier to use than Roland CutStudio.
For what it's worth, I've spoken to Mimaki owners that regret switching over from CutStudio because they are dissapointed with FineCut. Once you become accustomed to something it's difficult to switch. Ask any Corel user trying to learn Illustrator

The sheet size automatically loads. Resizing, spacing, mirroring are all super easy. And there is no need to convert text into outlines before cutting.
Anything you see on the screen in CutStudio can be cut. All cuttable data is automatically vectorized by the driver.

The Roland machine itself is really nice, but seems hamstrung by the software.
CutStudio does leave a little to be desired as an entry-level graphics package, but it is free and does not have to be used to operate a GX cutter. We have a plugin for Illustrator that is similar to FineCut if you are accustoemd to those features and that workflow.

Does CutStudio just suck, or am I just using it wrong?
It may very well suck for what you're accustomed to doing. Like all change it may be difficult to adapt.

We have some videos on our youtube page and also some recorded webinars in our archive that you can access for free as a Roland owner:
Roland Academy Workshops
rolanddgasupport - YouTube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.