T-Shirt Forums banner

61 - 80 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have a question i want to lease or buy the versa studio im a home based business and wanted know is this machine better than a dtg and could it help me from out sourcing so much like ordering screen printed trasnsfers and will it give me the look and feel of a dtg or better i mean 18 thousand for a dtg machine is out of my reach at this time i want something that will look good on darks and allow me to do one offs

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
I mostly use Firefox as a brower....but for some reason it will not play the bn20 speed video, nor will it play the youtube video BUT...I opened Chrome, the google browser...and it worked just fine...and will also work with Safari and MS Explorer...I may have screwed up a setting in Firefox...but could be an issue...

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a bn 20 and cannot get it to print the white ink under the CMYK or visa versa when chossing the clear medi fil profile. It says CMYK-Wv but it will not print the white layer??? Yet when selectinf white only in the clear media profile it will print the white ink but fille the complete area in with the white ink??

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
I have a bn 20 and cannot get it to print the white ink under the CMYK or visa versa when chossing the clear medi fil profile. It says CMYK-Wv but it will not print the white layer??? Yet when selectinf white only in the clear media profile it will print the white ink but fille the complete area in with the white ink??
You need to have a fill of the white spot color for it to work properly. Here is a video from Roland showing how to do it. It also goes over the metallic but the white info is in there as well. Let me know if this helps!

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9jebjz26uI[/MEDIA]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Steve,

Im your fan and I love reading your posts as a novice I learned a lot from your articles. Anyway, this coming weeend Im about to pick up a used VersaCAMM® SP-540i plus 64inch manual laminator for C$10,000 Im just curious if Im getting a good deal in this machine? Im new to this business and wanted to do sign and garment business on the side while maintaining my day job. The machine was few years old and basically used it for car wraps however the guy told me that he was using an aftermarket inks but the machine was very well taking cared off. But Im planning to switch it back to Roland original inks is there any costs involve to flash the aftermarket inks back to original? To start in this business the only thing I have is my skills on how to use Adobe Illustrator although Im my day job is all about databases as Im a Database Administrator by profession.

Anyway, Im planning to start with the following:

1. Custom Shirts
2. Sports Uniform
3. Car Decals and Stickers
4. Banners
5. Window Stickers
6. Magnets

Please give me the best media I can use on each application and I wanted to use just one type ink in all of my application. Your help is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Jake

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can anyone please tell me what is the different between the studio and camm ? Thanks

I am also trying to figure out if i should go with the studio or the camm. I want the ability to use the metallic inks but i need to keep my costs as low as possible but i'd hate to get the studio and then not be able to do larger projects. My main goal is to do apparel. But I'd like to do wall clings and decals and magnets too. Maybe even some yard signs for my husbands business or political signs. Also, where are you located Steve? I'm in Biloxi MS.
Cilya

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Can anyone please tell me what is the different between the studio and camm ? Thanks
The studio they are referring to is the VersaStudio BN20 model which is a 20 inch printer / cutter from Roland.

The Camm they are referring to is the VersaCAMM printer / cutter which comes in sizes from 30" and on up.

Both are great units.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Steve .
May I know if we compare to the DTG printer . Will the versastudio BN 20 and versacamm printer give the better quality than DTG printer ? And may i know what material we use to print and then heat press in on the garment ? What kind of ink we use for that ? and comparing about the cost and the speed, the quuality , with the dtg printer . If we get the order for custom just one t shirt . Should we use dtg printer or should we use the studio or versacamm printer ?
Thanks

The studio they are referring to is the VersaStudio BN20 model which is a 20 inch printer / cutter from Roland.

The Camm they are referring to is the VersaCAMM printer / cutter which comes in sizes from 30" and on up.

Both are great units.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thanks Steve .
May I know if we compare to the DTG printer . Will the versastudio BN 20 and versacamm printer give the better quality than DTG printer ? And may i know what material we use to print and then heat press in on the garment ? What kind of ink we use for that ? and comparing about the cost and the speed, the quuality , with the dtg printer . If we get the order for custom just one t shirt . Should we use dtg printer or should we use the studio or versacamm printer ?
Thanks
That is a lot to answer! I will do my best :)

The VersaStudio and DTG should have similar print qualities - they both have the capability to print up to 1440 x 1080 DPI - on that level they are equal. It is more on the substrate (garment or vinyl) that will affect the print quality. Bottom line - they both do an excellent job.

The material for the VersaStudio would be a heat transfer vinyl - there are many on the market and i would encourage you to get samples for different vendors to see which one s you like best. Most preferred vendors on the forums here will send you samples to test.

Ink for the VersaStudio is Eco Solvent and is very durable - 50 plus washes or the lifetime of the garment.

Cost, speed, quality etc compared to the DTG. You are really asking for apples to oranges with this one. They are different technologies and cannot be compared on an equal plane. I would say in the garment realm they are a close match but when that DTG is not printing a shirt, what is it doing? If you have a steady stream of customers and know that the DTG will be printing non stop, then it is a good investment. There are certain designs that a DTG can do better than a Versastudio - such as a fade to the edge on a graphic due to the vinyl having an edge where a DTG prints to the fabric. There are certain areas where the DTG fails - white ink is still problematic, pre treat is necessary for dark garments, it will not work on all substrates etc. The biggest factor IMHO where a Versastudio beats the DTG is versatility. When I am not printing shirts, I can be printing decals, or banners, or static clings, or magnets, or canvas, or posters etc. etc. etc. you get the picture. It expands your business quite a bit.

DTG is a great tool just as a Versastudio is a great tool. You need to weigh the pros and cons and find what is a best suit for your business.

I hope this helps!

61 - 80 of 214 Posts