T-Shirt Forums banner

41 - 60 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey steve again
we still haven't taken the plunge with gettign a BN20 - do you know of any or have any videos showing the BN20 working from starting a print to finishing a print so we can see the speed.
thanks for you advice
regards
bex

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
A quick advice... we want to buy a printer /cutter for dark garments to substitute our DTG on dark's and we also want to start printing some iphone skins decals similar to gelaskins .We have to choose between a new BN-20 (7000 euro) and a second hand SP-300 (5000 euro) .Which one will you choose..?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The advantage of BN over SP is metallic. Metallic will not work on garments, but on sign media. If you do not need metallic then SP300. The advantage of SP300 over BN20 - years of reliable service to the industry, speed, size of media capability, profiles availibilty to get great prints, availability of media to fit size. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I would agree that the SP300 would be better suited for speed and overall heavy use. The BN20 has the metallic option and can be changed at a significant cost so I would strongly recommend that you choose wisely (about $3000 to change it back). Not worth the cost if you think you might switch later on.

·
Registered
614 Posts
When you add metallic the machines goes painfully slower. You have to buy a certain amount of cartridges to flush the metallic before you can convert back.. Sounds like a pain and costly.. go with the used sp300

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Painfully slow due to how ink is applied and the consistency. The price to change is high due to needing to swap the line. Flushing regardless of the amount will still occassionaly show hints of metallic - a nice undesired effect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Now that the BN-20 has been out for awhile, and you have seen several, how do you feel about it's use in a mobile setting? We would love to put one in our mobile studio that goes to the racetrack all season to compliment the 300 in the main studio. Would be great to be able to produce custom decals for the cars and motorcycles on the spot as well as small garment logo's.

Thank you
Doug

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I do not own one but only around them. I will tell you this for I thought of doing the same thing. I think any printer will be challenged to be bounced around and possibly scratch the heads, or have the head move off of the cappings station and leak ink all over the place. I think securing it and then setting up at the location is a way, but you would have to do that without uninking it to make it make sense.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Now that we decided to stick to VP-300 , can anyone know what kind of 3M vinyl it is used by the guys from gelaskins since we are newbies to this kind of vinyl and decals, cutting and printing stuff...?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I will tell you this about the VP300 - as long as you have the profiles - it does not care what kind of vinyl you use. If you do not have the profiles and tell me your vinyl, I can probably give you a good substitute for it from the Roland inherit offerings. As I do not know the application per se, here are the rules - flat surface or slight contours - calendar vinyl / bending, rivets, grooves and the such - use a cast. If you need to laminate to protect vinyl then use a matching laminate. you can use cast lam on calendar but not the other way round. Hope this helped some.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I will be checking out this Roland Bn 20 at the DAX show in Minneapolis, I have been watching it for a while, and need to put a sample to the test , wash the heck out of it and feel the hand ect...
I will keep you all posted.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I have just came across your post on the Roland BN20 VersaStudio, i am based in the UK and was looking to buy one around August time but the best price i have had so far is £5k + VAT. Does anyone know or have any good suppliers of the Roland BN20 ?

Cheers

PS: great post by the way, love this pictures!

41 - 60 of 214 Posts