T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 40 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Steve. I recently got a bn20 and I'm having trouble loading in custom sheet sizes. For example a 10 inch by 13 inch sheet. It loads the roll media fine. Sometimes it accepts the sheets, most of the time it says that it's in the wrong position. I can't see where the sensors are and what is the requirements for sheets. I called roland 3 times and their tech guys can't even answer this for me.. Would you happen to know?

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey steve
we are in the uk - we print and cut football shirt name and numbers and were wondering if the BN-20 would be suitable.
we do have a CAMM SP300 but it is a bit to big for us and we are looking at something smaller and this seems to fit the bill.
i would appreciate any advice of comments.
many thanks
bec

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Steve. I recently got a bn20 and I'm having trouble loading in custom sheet sizes. For example a 10 inch by 13 inch sheet. It loads the roll media fine. Sometimes it accepts the sheets, most of the time it says that it's in the wrong position. I can't see where the sensors are and what is the requirements for sheets. I called roland 3 times and their tech guys can't even answer this for me.. Would you happen to know?
The pinch rollers need to be in certain areas for it to register correctly. Look for the grit rollers in the unit and match the rollers with them. There is also a square above them to indicate correct areas to engage the roller. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
hey steve
we are in the uk - we print and cut football shirt name and numbers and were wondering if the BN-20 would be suitable.
we do have a CAMM SP300 but it is a bit to big for us and we are looking at something smaller and this seems to fit the bill.
i would appreciate any advice of comments.
many thanks
bec
The 20 will do everything your current machine will do be slower. I would stay with the 300 but if size is a real concern, the BN20 woudl fit the bill.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you so much for clarifying that Steve! That helped me big time with loading the sheets. I also had another question. What's the best way to outline an image to make the cut colors for the bn20 to cut. So far I've just been blacking the image out in the middle to make the outline, and then putting it on top of the original image with the cut colors. But it's actually quite a lot of work to do the whole process for one picture... or is this process unavoidable? I'm very new to this whole industry and don't have any background in graphics either.. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you so much for clarifying that Steve! That helped me big time with loading the sheets. I also had another question. What's the best way to outline an image to make the cut colors for the bn20 to cut. So far I've just been blacking the image out in the middle to make the outline, and then putting it on top of the original image with the cut colors. But it's actually quite a lot of work to do the whole process for one picture... or is this process unavoidable? I'm very new to this whole industry and don't have any background in graphics either.. Thank you.
That is one way to do it. I usually use the bezier tool to draw around the object and then power clip the graphic into the shape I created. I can send oyu a video demonstrating this if you want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Steve

I am very impressed with the VersaStudio. I want one so bad I can taste it. :) However, I would like to see more video's of it actually printing and cutting. I am ALMOST convinced but need just a little more nudging.
How about uploading some videos of the unit getting a really good workout.

One thing that does concern me is the maintenance required. What is the maintenance? Another issue for me on other systems is that I would not be printing every day. Would this create a problem with clogging?

By the way, I have watched all your videos on you tube and liked what I saw. I read some where that you are all over the country, if you make it Kentucky, let me know.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hey Steve

I am very impressed with the VersaStudio. I want one so bad I can taste it. :) However, I would like to see more video's of it actually printing and cutting. I am ALMOST convinced but need just a little more nudging.
How about uploading some videos of the unit getting a really good workout.

One thing that does concern me is the maintenance required. What is the maintenance? Another issue for me on other systems is that I would not be printing every day. Would this create a problem with clogging?

By the way, I have watched all your videos on you tube and liked what I saw. I read some where that you are all over the country, if you make it Kentucky, let me know.

Thanks
Dan
Dan,
I don't have a unit available right now but should have one in a week or so and will take a some videos and post them up for you. It is slow but it performs very well. I will make sure i put it through the paces for you. :)

The maintenance is pretty easy and not much is involved by the user. The machine will start itself up once a day, do an environmental check, and then a self cleaning on the head to maintain it clean and moist. It purges a micro burst of ink while doing this. The end user will perform a manual cleaning about every two weeks or so (read this as they will actually do it once a month or longer ;) ) that is run via the software and walks you through it step by step. Very easy and can be completed in about 5 minutes or so. To be truthful, my machines get used every day but get cleaned about once a month as I teach a workshop on them and demonstrate how it is done. Do as I say, not as I do I guess!

For the clogging I will say that I have a VS300 with white and metallic ink that I purposely left unplugged for 3 weeks to prevent it from cleaning itself and then once I plugged it back in, ran the self cleaning and an automated normal cleaning (software driven with no user interaction) and then ran test prints from it. No clogged nozzles and it printed perfectly. These machines are very user friendly and perform very well.

Thanks for checking out the videos! I hope that they help. I always take requests and try to get them done as much as possible so let me know if there is something that we might be able to video for you. I have not been to Kentucky for a while but if I am down that way, I will let ya know! I am always up for visiting a new shop and seeing how everyone gets things done. I learn just as much from my travels as I do teaching to others.

Thanks!

Steven

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hallo,
I had only one question. I know that the main problem with ink printers solvent or direct printing is that they must be use couple times a day. If you leave it for 2-3 day the ink will dry and ruin printing part (i dont know the english word 4 it). Do any one who have this printer can say that i can print couple graphic and leave it for a week and nothing will happend?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hallo,
I had only one question. I know that the main problem with ink printers solvent or direct printing is that they must be use couple times a day. If you leave it for 2-3 day the ink will dry and ruin printing part (i dont know the english word 4 it). Do any one who have this printer can say that i can print couple graphic and leave it for a week and nothing will happend?
The printer will do a self maintenance once a day to keep the heads moist and clean. i have left one for over 3 weeks with no issues.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hello Mr. Jackson

Im looking into purchasing a BN20 but i was wondering if the ink catridges came included with it....
We do have a package deal that has the ink cartridges included but the standard from Roland does not come with inks/ If you would like, I can get you a quote on a setup. Send me an email at steven[USER=108410]@Imprintables[/USER].com

·
Registered
340 Posts
Scuba Steve, thanks for publishing a nice review of this printer. I have been looking at it since it's first appearance on the Roland website.

I am still trying to understand the market need this fills for people who are in the apparel printing business. Is it full color prints, in small volumes?

I see other ways to address that market, and while I would love to have a machine that can print and cut in this nice small size, the price point is a tough one for me. If it allowed me to do full color (by that i mean lots of colors - thousands) like a DTG printer, and did it with a very light hand, at least as good as a DTG printer, I'd get it. But if that isn't it, then I don't see what the value proposition is for this thing. It seems to me that the heatsoft material Roland offers is still going to be fairly thick on the shirt, kind of like vinyl or an opaque inkjet transfer. Clearly, I don't understand.

I'm not dissing this machine, but rather, trying to understand if it is really a good deal (again, from the perspective of apparel printing). What does this thing do that is so darn special (worth $8500)?

Educate me, please. :)

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Scuba Steve, thanks for publishing a nice review of this printer. I have been looking at it since it's first appearance on the Roland website.

I am still trying to understand the market need this fills for people who are in the apparel printing business. Is it full color prints, in small volumes?

I see other ways to address that market, and while I would love to have a machine that can print and cut in this nice small size, the price point is a tough one for me. If it allowed me to do full color (by that i mean lots of colors - thousands) like a DTG printer, and did it with a very light hand, at least as good as a DTG printer, I'd get it. But if that isn't it, then I don't see what the value proposition is for this thing. It seems to me that the heatsoft material Roland offers is still going to be fairly thick on the shirt, kind of like vinyl or an opaque inkjet transfer. Clearly, I don't understand.

I'm not dissing this machine, but rather, trying to understand if it is really a good deal (again, from the perspective of apparel printing). What does this thing do that is so darn special (worth $8500)?

Educate me, please. :)

Riph - you bring some good questions up.

The machine is capable of printing the full gamut that a DTG can produce and in most cases more colors as its output gamut is larger than most of the DTG printers on the market. It can produce full color prints for a variety of items including heat transfer products. The Heatsoft material from Roland is not the best in the market for its thickness and hand. There are many different brands of heat transfer printable vinyl (yes it is a vinyl) on the market and many produce a very soft hand. It will not produce the same feel as a DTG as it is a different process. DTG on dark color shirts still has a hand to it due to the white ink but I will say it is softer than any vinyl.

DTG's are not capable of printing the huge variety of products that the BN20 or any larger eco solvent printer can. The real advantage of this type of unit is versatility. The BN20 allows any shop to now not only produce full color garments in small or large quantities, but they can produce decals, banners, posters, magnets etc. etc. This allows that same shop to now bring the customer back in the door for many other sale items that they were getting somewhere else. The process to create the different products is very simple - mostly changing the media you are printing on and a few settings int he software. The key here is diversification. I can honestly say that my SP300 that we purchased so many years ago has helped keep my wife's business afloat when our garment sales dipped. We were able to sell banners, signs etc. and even out the lows.

What does it do that is so darn special? I think it allows a shop to produce small and large run orders for garment decoration on a variety of medias including special effects media at a very reasonable price. It also allows that same shop to add many products to its offering for their customers. Imagine this scenario - You are producing a t-shirt for the local high school football team and use the left chest logo that is all setup and printed for the garments to produce a few decals that you put in the box with their order. The decals are attached to a flyer letting them know about the many other products you offer and fundraiser programs you can do for them. Do you think you might get a call for some of these products. Works like a charm in most cases! :)

I hope this helps and thanks for reading my ramble. Let me know if you would like some samples or any info on what you can do with this printer and I will be happy to send some your way.

21 - 40 of 214 Posts