T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I’ve got my printer and everything working fine now.

I’m trying to get this image sublimated onto a slate of my grandad.

First one was the best

But the latest I’ve done has come out very white.

so I’ve got it setup in my press at 185 for 400 seconds.
Slate pre heated for 1 min.
Then have it in my press like following

bottom platten
Orange sponge type stuff
Teflon paper
Copy paper
Slate face up
Print
Paper
Silicone mat

attached a photo of the issue I’m having.

I know the majority of you will be able to tell what is causing this issue stright away!
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s what I was using the 3mm silicone for ontop.

ive tried doing it face down and it gave a similar result but was better than the image I attached.

on the bottom of the press there is like a 1/2 sponge layer then a 1/2” layer of rubberyfoam shall I leave both of these in?
Thanks for your help!

Which is laid on top of the item to ensure even contact and heat conduction.

Or some people place the item print-side down against the press' rubber mat and press it long enough for the heat to penetrate from the back.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
That’s what I was using the 3mm silicone for ontop.

ive tried doing it face down and it gave a similar result but was better than the image I attached.

on the bottom of the press there is like a 1/2 sponge layer then a 1/2” layer of rubberyfoam shall I leave both of these in?
Thanks for your help!
Is the 3mm silicone you are using the green heat conducting kind? If not, it might be acting more as insulation than a conductor.

If doing it upside down, I think it would be best to leave the conductive pad on top to ensure good contact with the heat source. As to the two 1/2" pads you mention, I'm not sure. Probably keep the firmest one on the bottom and then the other on top of that, though I'm not sure if the softer one is needed. See what others say.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
ard and uneven substrates require a green pad.
Which is laid on top of the item to ensure even contact and heat conduction.
Or some people place the item print-side down against the press' rubber mat and press it long enough for the heat to penetrate from the back.
Face down is the easy way, because that thick silicone pad will fill gaps better than a thin foam sheet.
The negative part is that it takes time for the heat to spread through the stone, and that time is not easy to calculate.
The time depends on the wattage of the heat press, as well as the thickness and size of its heat plate.
A 2kw 60x40cm press with a thick 4cm solid heat plate will do it in 5-6 minutes.
A cheap Chinese 1.4kw 38x38cm heat press with a skinny 1cm heat plate will do it in around 15 minutes.
The time difference is because the first heat press can store more heat and recover faster as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello.

First one was the best

bottom platten
Orange sponge type stuff
Teflon paper
Copy paper
Slate face up
Print
Paper
Silicone mat

I know the majority of you will be able to tell what is causing this issue stright away!
Thanks.

View attachment 273662
Most of the things I sublimate are at 400 degrees. Did you post your settings backwards? Should it be 400 DEGREES FOR 165 SECONDS?

·
Registered
27 Posts
That kind of image drop out could also be from moisture. Did you dry out your print before pressing?
I'd agree with the others that the extra mat could probably go. The parts that did sublimate..seemed to transfer well so I'd suspect not enough pressure/time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks some moisture on print, You should have to make print plain before going further to get correct printing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

First one was the best

bottom platten
Orange sponge type stuff
Teflon paper
Copy paper
Slate face up
Print
Paper
Silicone mat

Thanks.

View attachment 273662
definitely pressure issue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts