T-Shirt Forums banner

Rinsing a Screen After Burning

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  PatWibble 
#1 ·
First of all, 1st post! Been lurking here for a while, but finally decided to print my own stuff.

Tried searching for this and couldn't find the exact question or answer..

So I'm finding that there are arguments that a light-safe room is not really necessary when applying emulsion to your screen. I will continue to do this in a light safe room, HOWEVER, after burning the image in the screen, do I need to stay in a light-safe environment while rinsing out my screen?

Reason why I ask is because I am printing in my home and I prepare the screens inside the house and for rinsing I wash the image out in my garage. I have been rinsing my screens in complete darkness since I have no yellow light in my garage.

So, to state the question in a more simple way: Can I rinse out a screen after it's burned in a lighted area? Thanks!

#3 ·
I just walk downstairs into the garage- don't have to step outside at all. I've been putting the screen in a black trash bag and bringing it down (not sure if I really have to be this extreme though). The garage light is incandescent and probably about 20 ft from the washout area

#4 ·
Well..... why don't you try it! It will cost you exactly 1 coat of emulsion! Basically nothing!

Or buy a lamp and place a lightsafe bulb in it and leave it in the garage. If you're in the states, you should be able to buy a bare bulb holder and cord fixture for $5 or less

Typically, fluorescent lighting won't expose your screens. if you are washing them out, damp emulsion does struggle forming cross links

#6 ·
A incandescent bulb puts out little UV. A fluorescent light also puts out very little UV. Your standard shop light with a plastic cover further cut the UV. I coat, apply films, put in exposure unit, wash out all in standard Fluorescent lights. I use photopolymer emulsion.

Daylight fluorescent put off more UV but if hung overhead @ 4 ft from a screen and a cover it would take hours to expose.

#7 ·
Hi,

Its entirely down to your emulsion, some are more light sensitive than others.

You really don't need to be working in the dark. A good quality emulsion should only be affected by uv and strong direct sunlight. You should be able to work in a room with a normal low watt bulb, and for washing out a stronger light.

#9 ·
just put in a one bulb pull-switched light unit above your washout station and run 2 wires to the closest powered outlet box. take box out, (while circuit breaker is turned off) add the + and - and replace box. buy a $5 bug light and now you have a separate switched safelight-lit garage.

#11 ·
Most emulsion specifies 'subdued light', so short term exposure to natural daylight won't cause any harm. Just avoid direct sunlight or bright lighting and head straight for the garage.
Light is actually useful for ensuring that the screen is washed out properly.

Aside from a drying cabinet light safe areas are only really needed in busy shops making lots of screens, where it wouldn't be convenient to turn of the lights and draw the blinds.

If you are still unsure just wet the screen in the shower cubicle before taking it down stairs. This will arrest the exposure process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.