T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didn't find much info regarding the ribbon cables, so i thought i would post a new thread.

i now know of at least 2 reasons why ZERO ink will fire. the most popular reason is blowing a fuse on the motherboard. the F6 fuse is the most common one that i've seen mentioned. however, the 2nd reason will be a poor connection between your ribbon cables and the print head. these are the ones that attach to the print head itself ("0" & "00").

thankfully, i had a multi-meter and was able to determine that the fuses on the motherboard were still fine. the TIGERS pointed me to the next place which are these ribbon cables. i noticed 2 marks on my "0" cable (pic attached). the "00" cable was fine. Roger, Leo, and Justin all confirmed that this could lead to no ink firing. so i ordered the new cables and s l o w l y and m e t h o d i c a l l y put them in. it took me awhile because there are a lot of bends, but overall, then went back in rather easily. the marks on my "0" cable have been there for around a year or so, but they just finally decided to not work. i cleaned them with alcohol, used a pencil eraser, but nothing worked.

i powered everything back on, held my breath, and...INK FIRED! i did a little dance, and now i'm back in business after being down for almost a week. so buy some backup ribbon cables! they are only a little over $15 and you can add them to your next order of ink so that the cost of shipping isn't an issue.

Attachments

· Registered
74 Posts
We just replaced our ribbons. Found out that the ink was leaking past the foam gaskets and corroded the ribbons.

We replaced them and now the Yellow is not printing at all. Before the replacement it was all the white lines not printing.
White now prints but no yellow.

Question is, if there is some green corrosion on the contacts themselves on the print head are we screwed? Or can they be cleaned some way?

Need some answer as soon as possible.

Thanks

· Registered
3,098 Posts
Question is, if there is some green corrosion on the contacts themselves on the print head are we screwed? Or can they be cleaned some way?

Need some answer as soon as possible.

Thanks
I would have though that if there's corrosion indicated by a green colour, you'd be able to carefully clean the contact - you can buy electronic contact cleaner. I haven't used this myself but it should be okay.

Do you have a continuity meter to check the connection from the printhead to the other end of the ribbon cable?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.