T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just wondering how the rhinestones from the craft store work. It says they r for shirts and stuff. I guess u set them with an iron? Do they last long? I just wanted to use a few. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TShirtForums

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, if u do set them with an iron, how do u avoid from the screen printed ink getting hot or touched?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have used the ones from Walmart when I first started. Those worked really well but are a lot more expensive than buying in bulk and you don't get a lot of choices of colors and sizes. Michaels does sell the Swaroski stones, but they are even more expensive but are really nice to try. As far as not ironing the vinyl or screen printing, try using some parchment paper from the grocery store over the design. In a restaurant supply house you may be able to find the teflon sheets (that is what we cover our designs with). Just remember with the household iron you need to use even and constant pressure.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Those Swarovski stones in Michaels say made in China on the back and we all no that ain't so.
Wow, I never read the package to see that. I do know they are pretty. Prettier than some others that I have seen other places, but they are expensive. So unless you are just doing something small I wouldn't spend that kind of money on them.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Those Swarovski stones in Michaels say made in China on the back and we all no that ain't so.
That may or may not be true. At a tradeshow last year a vendor told me that Swarovski sold the name to a China manufacturer. Don't have any idea if that is true but might be for some of the products produced (such as for crafts stores).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is there any special kind to buy that will stick to the shirt? Like, what should the package say?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
That may or may not be true. At a tradeshow last year a vendor told me that Swarovski sold the name to a China manufacturer. Don't have any idea if that is true but might be for some of the products produced (such as for crafts stores).
I doubt that is true that they sold their name to a Chinese manufacturer. Swarovski has remained a privately owned family business since its inception and the Factory is still in Wattens, Austria.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I doubt that is true that they sold their name to a Chinese manufacturer. Swarovski has remained a privately owned family business since its inception and the Factory is still in Wattens, Austria.
I kind of figured that vendor that told me the name had been sold was just trying to get me to buy from him by telling that.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I think he was pulling your leg. Although I have heard that they have factories in other places, one thing they did not do was sell the name to a Chinese Manufacturer. They choose not to go public so that they could maintain the luxury brand that they developed over the years. No way they would give that up.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I think he was pulling your leg. Although I have heard that they have factories in other places, one thing they did not do was sell the name to a Chinese Manufacturer. They choose not to go public so that they could maintain the luxury brand that they developed over the years. No way they would give that up.
No, he wasn't pulling my leg. He was very serious and trying to convince me to buy from him. He told me he owned his own factory in China or Korea (I don't remember which ) and that he had better quality than anyone else. I wasn't impressed with what he had to offer.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You definitely want to get HOT FIX RHINESTONES. These have the glue on the back and will set with heat. If this is a one time thing, then the iron should work, but your design will not likely last very long. I would go ahead and buy the $20 heat fix wand that you can also find in the store right there with the hot fix stones. This will enable you to make sure you heat the stone sufficiently so that the glue will last longer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts