T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to develop a good system for small home jobs of rhinestone designs using a vinyl cutter and a clothing iron.

Right now I am using Hartco 425 sandblasting material to cut out a template, brushing the stones over it, and then using a mylar tape to transfer the design to the garment, it works wonderfully.

But it occurred to me, why use transfer tape at all? Why not just put the Hartco 425 directly on the garment, put your rhinestones in, put a cloth over top and iron? So I tried it half expecting to melt the sandblast material to oblivion, but it in fact worked perfectly. No evident damage to my garment or to the sandblast material.

This seems a little too good to be true as it cuts out time and costs. Everyone else is using transfer tape which makes me wonder, am I missing something? Eventually I will be teaching whatever technique I settle on so I really don't want to find out later that this is a horrible idea! Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is fascinating! So, you peeled off the backing sheet from the Harco and had the adhesive side of the template in direct contact with the shirt? But the heat didn't cause any adhesive to get on the fabric at all?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts