T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This costume started out as a black leotard and metallic red leggings. My daughter's dance teacher wanted me to "just rhinestone it" from the bottom of one leg all the way up and over to the opposite shoulder, for her "Devil went down to Georgia" tap solo. I wanted a more cohesive look than that, so that it would look like flames were extending from the pants, so this is what I came up with.

Thanks to Josh at Stahl's for helping me come up with a good matching vinyl. This was my first attempt at making a vector design, and cutting and pressing anything other than rhinestones. I wouldn't really recommend applying rhinestones directly to the vinyl, because they didn't stick well and would definitely not hold up to washing, but it worked out ok in this instance. When pressing it was hard to find a temperature hot enough to adhere the rhinestone glue, yet not scorch the fabric and vinyl.

Attachments

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fabulous job. Did you do the shoes too? I bet everyone was impressed, both with the costume and with your daughter. You should be one proud Mama :D
Thanks Boomerbabe and Irish! Yes I did the shoes too. She did a great job this year, won first place overall in two of her four competitions! All having to do with her fancy footwork! Thanks again :)

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, this is very impressive, congratulations.
How did you apply the same color from the leggings to the top, is it vinyl in the same color or what?

Regards, Robert

www.laughingshirts.nl
Thank you Robert. The vinyl isn't the same, but it does closely resemble the color and sheen of the metallic pants. I used Fashion Film Electric, in Firecracker Red.

· Registered
226 Posts
Thank you Robert. The vinyl isn't the same, but it does closely resemble the color and sheen of the metallic pants. I used Fashion Film Electric, in Firecracker Red.
Well on the picture I cannot tell the difference.
It looks like you went over the seems with the vinyl, or did you make a cut there? And the edges did you wrap the vinyl around (must be pretty difficult to press) or sew it new?

Kind regards, Robert

www.laughingshirts.nl

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well on the picture I cannot tell the difference.
It looks like you went over the seems with the vinyl, or did you make a cut there? And the edges did you wrap the vinyl around (must be pretty difficult to press) or sew it new?

Kind regards, Robert

www.laughingshirts.nl
I hope I understand your questions correctly, and will try to say this coherently :) I did go over the seams of the leotard with the vinyl, and using small pieces at a time, did press the vinyl around the whole leo. It looked like a Wonder Woman leo by the time I was done--lol. I had to put the vinyl to the very bottom edge of the leo because the pants tended to slip down so much that you could see where I stopped with the vinyl. I actually sewed in hooks and eyes between the pants and leo around the entire thing so that it would stay in place when she danced. If I had it to do over I would incorporate some breaks into the flame design, so there would be some give/stretch. It was hard for her to pull it on, and I was praying that she wouldn't grow a lot in those few months! All in all it was quite a headache for a novice like me, and not something I would want to tackle again. I have a new, healthy respect for people who make costumes. Yikes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.