T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I like the dog one...but maybe a more realistic mock-up. It will never look like this printed on a t-shirt.
I'm not too sure about the other one. It's a nice design, but it is too generic for its niche. You never know though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your designs are better then half the s#!+ online. What is your price and where do you sell? Is traffic good?
I have been charging $10 per design (just the digital file). Selling to people who do sublimation themselves. But Im not selling enough to warrant the effort to make the designs.

Ive just started advertising tShirts, because I have someone who prints them for me. (DTG) But shirts printed cost me $18 plus $5 postage. Then I try to make $10 on top of that.

In Australia, we dont have people that can do as cheap as those in the US. And if we order from the US, postage is expensive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The solution is very simple... Print them yourself ;).

I don't think I could make much money through POD services myself... But the shirts I print myself, are actually sold before I even make them.
Yea, I have bought some sublimation equipment, but most people want black. DTG printers are a bit out of my price range at the moment.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Yea, I have bought some sublimation equipment, but most people want black. DTG printers are a bit out of my price range at the moment.
Sublimation works only with polyester... and that's very limiting.

DTG is a bit of a pain if you ask me, and this is why POD prices are so high.

You may want to consider plastisol transfers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sublimation works only with polyester... and that's very limiting.

DTG is a bit of a pain if you ask me, and this is why POD prices are so high.

You may want to consider plastisol transfers.
Ah thanks, never heard of plastisol. So thats works on all materials and can be printed full color ?

What is the best company for plastisol printing ? Or can you get your own printer ?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Most of the shirts you see in the shops are actually plastisol printed.
It's the most durable method of printing shirts, but you need to print 100 or more copies to make it cheap. Many places just stock plastisol transfers and apply then on shirts on demand. You can print CMYK + White (5 colors) with it, and even more colors if you want, but price goes up with each color you are adding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of the shirts you see in the shops are actually plastisol printed.
It's the most durable method of printing shirts, but you need to print 100 or more copies to make it cheap. Many places just stock plastisol transfers and apply then on shirts on demand. You can print CMYK + White (5 colors) with it, and even more colors if you want, but price goes up with each color you are adding.
In researching 'Plastisol' I came across another process called 'Supacolour' which is supposed to be better for 'photo composition' style designs like mine. You had any experience with this ?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
In researching 'Plastisol' I came across another process called 'Supacolour' which is supposed to be better for 'photo composition' style designs like mine. You had any experience with this ?
Supacolour is a printed transfer material. Even though material has gotten 100x better I still think the feel like a chest plate. For small pocket prints or maybe a back, although the get hot in the sun, I wouldn’t want a big patch and you will find if someone is spending $28+$5 shipping will never be a repeat buyer even if you design are a huge hit.

There are ways to sub other materials. I’ve subbed cotton witha paper from LRS specifically for doing so. 1-2 washes is some fade but get a very nice hand after. Subbing blends creates some killer effects. When the grunge was the fade here a few years back I would sub blends throw in the washer. We tagged with a sheet explains the the fade would become more pronounced. Sold thousands for about 2 years then the fads changed. Schools started no holes policy so 3 years ago I screenprinted shirts with holes.

The selling your own designs and especially online is a tough road. I rarely try to sell a pre printed design anymore although I’ve made good money doing so but it’s an up and down market. I went to print on demand for groups and schools. Work a heck of lot less for about the same income and I only stock ink and screen printing materials.

Reactions: edge creative

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
There are many design specific methods to print shirts. One of them is sublimation on poly-cotton 50/50 etc, for a faded effect.

Supacolour is probably just solvent inkjet prints, with white backing. Many places do them and call them whatever they want. They are not that bad... they are often used for low cost children's clothing.

·
Banned
532 Posts
You are learning that creating designs is the easy part. Hundreds of thousands of people can do it but the real trick is being able to sell what you make. If you do not have sales/marketing experience maybe look to partner with someone. having a great design that no one sees is like having no design at all.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The designs are fine, but the t-shirts look vector and fake. Get a good pic of a t-shirt and use a Photoshop Displacement effect to warp your images over any wrinkles in the shirt. It will look much more natural.

Also, your design images are too perfect. Use one of the Photoshop layer blending modes, such as 'multiply' to give a more natural look and maybe add a tiny bit of Gaussian blur just to kill the sharpness.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Supacolour is a printed transfer material. Even though material has gotten 100x better I still think the feel like a chest plate. For small pocket prints or maybe a back, although the get hot in the sun, I wouldn’t want a big patch and you will find if someone is spending $28+$5 shipping will never be a repeat buyer even if you design are a huge hit.

There are ways to sub other materials. I’ve subbed cotton witha paper from LRS specifically for doing so. 1-2 washes is some fade but get a very nice hand after. Subbing blends creates some killer effects. When the grunge was the fade here a few years back I would sub blends throw in the washer. We tagged with a sheet explains the the fade would become more pronounced. Sold thousands for about 2 years then the fads changed. Schools started no holes policy so 3 years ago I screenprinted shirts with holes.

The selling your own designs and especially online is a tough road. I rarely try to sell a pre printed design anymore although I’ve made good money doing so but it’s an up and down market. I went to print on demand for groups and schools. Work a heck of lot less for about the same income and I only stock ink and screen printing materials.
Can you show me some of your products so I can get an idea of what the market wants ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.