T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
We started selling to retail boutiques in the beginning of May. We are now in about 20 stores. However, I am finding it very hard to get a second order. I have called and followed up. Most buyers tell me to send photos of new styles, but then they never answer their emails. It seems the shirts are selling OK, not phenomenal but just as well as anything else in the store with the economy being the way it is.

Am wondering what others experiences have been in boutiques and if you can offer any advice with follow through etc. I don't want to be too pushy or nudge them too much.

thanks so much.

Rachel

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Re: Retail reorders

Using boutiques is hard right now, which you correctly pointed out is hurting their bottom line pricing. You may have to be more willing to work with your retailers, i.e. try to do some cross promotions, tie in your marketing to include their stores and don't rely just on their location to pull your numbers. You might already be doing this, you might consider giving them some net terms or discounts for using cash, etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: Retail reorders

Hi there,
We started selling to retail boutiques in the beginning of May. We are now in about 20 stores. However, I am finding it very hard to get a second order. I have called and followed up. Most buyers tell me to send photos of new styles, but then they never answer their emails. It seems the shirts are selling OK, not phenomenal but just as well as anything else in the store with the economy being the way it is.

Am wondering what others experiences have been in boutiques and if you can offer any advice with follow through etc. I don't want to be too pushy or nudge them too much.

thanks so much.

Rachel
With the economy the way it is, unless your sell through is phenomonal, most boutiques are holding they're established brands close. In other words, if you are hanging with bigger brands the buyer has a certain amount of money that they can spend for each season so rather than reorder your product they will wait and see what the delivery times from their major vendors are. If they can't deliver in the time frame that they need to fill their racks then they will go to there backup which will be you.
What kind of t-shirts are you doing? Basics or fashion?

John

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have a boutique, and sell my own tees in there.
I am restructuring every thing else i buy, because of the economy, that is most likely the Issue going into winter, good and bad, good is the holiday season coming, bad is the heating season comes with it.
Hang in there,If your shirts are selling well there, they will reorder because it is making them money, if they are not selling well, then they may not be reordering, or just waiting to see if it gets better.
Hope this helped

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We sell fashion tees. Appliqued and embroidered. Lots of hand done work. Pretty different than anything else out there.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sounds great, but also sounds fairly expensive as apposed to everything else that is out there. Perhaps, you could come up with another brand, which features the same styles as your original but printed or fabricated with less expensive materials...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes very expensive to produce. People have not really flinched at the price. we are working on some simpler designs, but my business partner who approves all creative aspects is somewhat picky. but on the other hand she usually is right on the money as far as what sells.
We are working on some foil and flock printing. trying to be different than everything else that is ou there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i understand this is old but was hoping to hear an update on the situation. how were you marketing your line when this happened? were you relying on the stores as mentioned or were you hitting the streets building your brand to stand on it's own?

i see many high dollar labels which surprisingly sell in small boutiques as stand alones but they never appear again because the expense and limit to their market.

look at ed hardy... an automotive painter, not even the owner of his own name. great hit when it came out now you can find their items which might possibly be knock off in wholesale discount stores. still yet online hats, watches, etc pulling upwards of $100's but you can find last years item for $30.

nothing wrong with aiming high but is it necessary? anyhow the real point was to see if things had progressed for you.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts