T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Since this is a resource thread, I need some information about one resource in particular. I need to know what people are using as a non skid surface /tape that rides on the drive rod in a friction drive machine. The only thing I could ffind at LOWES looked like sandpaper. 2Wouldn't that eat away at the stuff on the drive rod that is what makes it not be slick as glass? I that sand paper looking tape what anyone uses? Need to know because everything is tore down and I need to get this thing goins asap as my printer has been in pieces for a few days already and I need to be able to get it together as soon as I can get time from caring for the ol lady

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, i'm new here and plan on building my own DTG machine :) I have been doing a ton of research the past few days on what printers to use and the challenges and issues that come with them. I plan on my first experiment being with some epson likely an R280 because i have one with no use for it. What I am wondering however is if anyone has any experience with an ALPS MD-5000 printer I have MANY of them (5 in parts and a couple perfectly working ones). It basically uses ribbons and heat to transfer to the pages, it can print in the usual Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta as well as White, Gold Foil, Silver Foil, Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Magenta etc...

Has anyone ever tried anything with a printer like this? Quality and color wise it would kick *** IF it would print on the garment correctly but I'm not sure how the ribbon will adhere.

Thanks for your help and input :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi everyone, i'm new here and plan on building my own DTG machine :) I have been doing a ton of research the past few days on what printers to use and the challenges and issues that come with them. I plan on my first experiment being with some epson likely an R280 because i have one with no use for it. What I am wondering however is if anyone has any experience with an ALPS MD-5000 printer I have MANY of them (5 in parts and a couple perfectly working ones). It basically uses ribbons and heat to transfer to the pages, it can print in the usual Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta as well as White, Gold Foil, Silver Foil, Metallic Silver, Metallic Gold, Metallic Magenta etc...

Has anyone ever tried anything with a printer like this? Quality and color wise it would kick *** IF it would print on the garment correctly but I'm not sure how the ribbon will adhere.

Thanks for your help and input :)
Your not going to have any luck with a ribbon based printer. The only printers that are going to be appropriate are the Epson printers or the new Ricoh inkjet printers. The R280 looks like a worthy candidate. You should look at the C88 plans since this printer IN NOT a wide format printer. You can find the plans on the DIYDTG Wiki. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your not going to have any luck with a ribbon based printer. The only printers that are going to be appropriate are the Epson printers or the new Ricoh inkjet printers. The R280 looks like a worthy candidate. You should look at the C88 plans since this printer IN NOT a wide format printer. You can find the plans on the DIYDTG Wiki. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bob ?;O)
Ya thats what I intend on doing... as far as the C88 goes, I will make that happen with this R280, hopefully :) As for the ALPS, i know the ribbon will stick to cotton and its 100% waterproof i just dont know if it will be doable. Was hoping someone had some experience with that. While my primary project will be with the Epson's which we all know can and will work... if built correctly ... shouldn't be a problem for me. I would love to do it with the ALPS because it has so much more potential as far as printing coolness lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Bob ?;O)
So as I plan on doing this project this weekend I was wondering if you were aware if the R280 and C88 would be the same dimensionally, that way I can use the C88 plans, if not I will just make my own rig and will take pictures and write it up so other people can use the R280 in case they haven't ... if anyone has please let me know if there are any issues you ran into.

Steve

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
OK Team, I have labored all day on this and believe it is ready for testing. I have programmed a number of the source files for Gutenprint and have demos of both the 1100 and 1400 capable of printing 3 color composite and a white background from Gutenprint. I created a page on the wiki with details...

http://diydtg.wikispaces.com/Gimp+Co...White+Printing

I'm looking forward to feedback and created a new thread to follow it. Please let me know what you think...

PS... I currently have Gutenprint printing four passes of each color. It was set at two by default so I'm guessing four will lay down twice as much ink...

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK Team, I have labored all day on this and believe it is ready for testing. I have programmed a number of the source files for Gutenprint and have demos of both the 1100 and 1400 capable of printing 3 color composite and a white background from Gutenprint. I created a page on the wiki with details...

http://diydtg.wikispaces.com/Gimp+Co...White+Printing

I'm looking forward to feedback and created a new thread to follow it. Please let me know what you think...

PS... I currently have Gutenprint printing four passes of each color. It was set at two by default so I'm guessing four will lay down twice as much ink...

Thanks,

Bob ?;O)
Hi Bob,
This link did not work any more, do you have others?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.