T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I made up the part about the muskrats.

I have had silk screen versions of my designs done on shirts just a few times over the years, most of them a long time ago. The most recent was about four or five years back. That was a design that I actually intended to be printed in two colors - one background color, behind the image, and then one overprinted black print on top.

My reasoning behoind that was that the black ink, printed over other ink, would show detail much beter than if the designs had simply printed in a single color on black fabric. Unfortunately for me I didn't place the order myself and it was done in a single color - quite a bit of detail was lost due to the texture of the fabric.

Was this a good idea? It seems to me that of the screen prints I've seen, the crispest detail is always that detail which is printed over another color of ink rather than on the fabric itself. Is there a reason *not* to do it that way, other than expense?

Inquiring muskrats want to know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You are correct in thinking that a base coat of white will make the black "pop" more. When I designed our Melba Toast I did it as a one color black image. When we went to press with it for the first time I told my partner to put a base coat behind the car. You would not believe the difference that base coat made to the detail of the foreground image. The stripes were white, the highlights in the chrome were hitting just right... it was like night and day. I would say a base of white is mandatory when you are screenprinting a detailed one color image image to a shirt. Unless of course if you are printing on a white tee. It's the same reason cd faces with any detail in the artwork are usually hit with a white pass before the final screen goes on. Hope this real world account helps out.

Dick Tees

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, in the case I'm thinking of I'd wanted a base coat of a pumpkin color behind a detail screen in black; as it was actually printed, the black areas were cut out of the single pass in the pumpkin color. That put all the right colors in the right places but I've always been sure it would have been crisper and a lot nicer as a two color job - even though the second color would have been the same as the shirt color!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts