T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it typical to resize artwork to fit different shirt sizes (and eat the extra setup fees)? I'm just wondering if there's a standard procedure - certain percentages to scale up/down. We have a couple designs that fill a good portion of the shirt. Obviously what works on a S will look too small for a XXL.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I asked this question of the printer I use to supply me with plastisol transfers; they informed me that while some people use the same design and size for all applications, the majority use a slightly larger size for larger garments. They even offered to resize for me after I had supplied the artwork and asked this question. I don't really have to worry about setup charges because they don't charge any, but I can send 2 sizes and just have them gang it all in an even split to the sheet. It's all one set-up (screen) anyway.

I've sold them both ways though, and customers have never mentioned or noticed it. I have a feeling I'm the only one that pays attention to that. I use one size for S & M, and another for L & up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I assume your talking about screen printing set up charges. If I'm going to print sizes S-XXL, I size the artwork to fit on the XXL and go with that size for all my prints. I rather it look slightly bigger on a size S than the graphic look small on a size XXL. It's simply to much work to make two different size screens (for me at least)

·
Registered
243 Posts
In all honesty, we print one size for all. Maybe way back in the day they actually sat around and resized for different shirts, but it doesn’t happen that much today! It’s not cost effective. Most people don’t notice or care!

A lot of screeners charge you more for XXL or XXXL on the theory of getting a larger print for a larger shirt. Match them up… it’s the same size more often than not! We don’t charge more for larger sizes… on print or shirt!

If you have a screener who actually increases the size of print for larger shirts… KEEP them! Unless they’re charging you the re-screening for larger sizes.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I wouldn't increase the print size until I got into the 2xl and up. We design so that the image will look good from small the xl...out main selling range.

I agree ith CHL...if you have a printer who doesn't charge for resize, keep 'em!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, we took our order (9 designs) to the printer w/ artwork resized twice - once to cover S-M and once to cover L-2X. the printer freaked out. while he was more than happy to do the work (and charge us twice the setup) he said it was unnecessary. he suggested we design larger for the smaller sizes so on the larger ones, they'll look just right. there were a few designs where we just couldnt escape resizing (because negative space played a role in the design).

in all honesty i thought resizing was commonplace in screenprinting. most of the brands i buy seem to have their designs proportioned to shirt size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts