T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

This is my first posting and I am a recently new registered user.

Wanted to know if anyone can provide information on reprinting still imagery from Walt Disney movies? I am in the "idea-stage" and want to know if my concept is even feasible to consider doing, or if I will run into some major copyright infringement issues...

Any information or links to other sites would be much appreciated. Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You will run into some MAJOR copyright infringements. You should contact Disney and get permission. But good luck. Companies like that usually are locked in with an apparal company.

Don't take the risk. Believe me. I was recently involved with a case of copyright infringement. These big companies do not play nice. :)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Of all the artistic property to infringe, Disney is probably *the* No.1 to avoid. They have teeth. Huge departments of lawyers with teeth.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I'd agree - it's never a good idea, but with Disney it's a particularly bad idea. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a whole department of people who just do deep Google searches looking for infringement (hi guys! love your work) - I've heard of some pretty small players getting caught.

·
Registered
387 Posts
ooooooh goodness, don't mess with Mickey, -- his legal department will make you think that you were Goofy's distant cousin . . .

Diane :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Disney has a pretty hardcore process they put potential licensees through.

Unless you've in business for 5 years and you're a manufacturer you are pretty much out of luck. However, it never hurts to write a letter, plead your case and hope they make an exception.

For Softlines:
Licensing Proposal - Softlines
Disney Consumer Products
500 S. Buena Vista
Burbank, CA 91521-6811

For more regarding Disney licensing:

https://licensing.disney.com/Login/apps/loginpages/jsp/dcpdl/splash/BecomeLicensee2.jsp?from=null

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I just heard a news story on CNN today that said how many dead people are making money.. Elvis 40 million? Monroe, 8 million.. they got that way because their names and images are protected.. with that much money in back of you would you want to try to rip off their image.. or any big company. Especially like Disney.. And I know about Disney because at one time they would not let their movies be rented.. believe me.. I had a video store, tiny, one of the first in the Bay area.. and one day a Disney rep walks in and tells me they will sue me if I don't stop renting their movies which were only to be sold.. I did.. for about a week then they lost a court case and now look..

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I dont know...the disney clip art is all over the place. I mean everywhere...so who flooded the market??? Disney ya think!!! I have a problem with this idea. Looks like a marketing tool to me. So we cant put Jimmy Hendrix in an image but GW and HILLary are open game?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
MotoskinGraphix said:
So we cant put Jimmy Hendrix in an image but GW and HILLary are open game?
Yup.

What might or might not seem fair (in terms of what we feel is public cultural property) sadly doesn't enter into it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Dont blatantly rip something off from disney. Dont sell a shirt with a picture of mickey on it. That will get you a cease and decist order. If you want to use an idea based on something disney has done, you can probably do it, but you will need a lawyer. There are companies that walk that line all the time, like south park and saturday night live, for instance.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
MotoskinGraphix said:
and once again...the president of the usa persona is open for manipulation???
In the US, politicians (not just the president) are open for lampooning (though I believe this is more due to free speech than copyright laws). I don't know what limitations there are on it (if any), but if you're making a political point about an elected official that's okay.

(there are still other considerations - if you make a shirt that says "Assassinate Bush", you may find yourself getting an unpleasant visit from the authorities, and even though you can use Bush's image - you'd still need a copyright free photo, etc.)

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Oh, and it doesn't have to be a negative message - you could do a "Yay for [insert politician here]" shirt, it's just much more common to do an "I hate [blah]".

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
But as Solmu said....you have to use a public domain image. You can't just google for images. The White House site has some high resolution, excellent quality PD images though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts