T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, does anyone know if there is an advantage to frames where the screen mesh is locked in for good vs. frames where you can buy replacement mesh and replace the screens once they get too messed up? Is buying more screen mesh just a waste of money, and I should take better care to get everything out of my screens?

·
Registered
859 Posts
the mesh is the expensive part, so if it's taken care of it's not a waste of money. the most important part, however, is not the ability to replace mesh, it's the ability to get them consistently tight, and continually keep them that way. most static frames are at about 25 newtons new and relax to about 15 and gradually get worse. retens can be stretched to 50 more newtons and then can be retensioned again and again. you will get more consistent prints and better registration because of the even tension. i'm not an expert at all on these frames, i've got 11 right now and love them. i've got 30 or more aluminum frames that i use a lot too, but even though most of them are less than 2 years old, they are getting close to being too loose. what i've heard some people do is use a retensionable frame that is bigger than their static frames and use it as a screen stretcher. i'd like to do that soon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You should also definently reclaim your screens and reuse them. With retensionable frames, you can stretch your screens, print, reclaim, and restretch. The great thing about this is after a while, you will max out your newtons and the screen will consistently stay tensioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts