T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll. Just a quick question...

I've found a tee supplier that I really like, however their tees always have lint (little bits of dust) engrained in the material. Once I place the tee under a heat press for 20 odd seconds, this lint all shows up and it's a PAIN!

I've tried various lint brushes, but this is very annoying and time consuming. Does anyone have a good solution to getting rid of this lint prior to printing? (Short of washing them)

Any ideas much appreciated, Bryn.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i use a lint roller - the kind intended to pick up pet hair :p - ya know with the tape rolled adhesive-side out?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a lint roller for the lint and hair that gets stuck to the t-shirt ... but it doesn't take care of the little t-shirt fuzz that seems to be pulled up when I pull the backing off the transfer ... I use Gildan 6.1 oz t-shirts ... have read alot of good things about this t-shirt ... but don't like the fuzz from the shirt that seems to be pulled up and show after the transfer. Any ideas???
Thanks,
Jody

·
Registered
462 Posts
I use a lint roller for the lint and hair that gets stuck to the t-shirt ... but it doesn't take care of the little t-shirt fuzz that seems to be pulled up when I pull the backing off the transfer ... I use Gildan 6.1 oz t-shirts ... have read alot of good things about this t-shirt ... but don't like the fuzz from the shirt that seems to be pulled up and show after the transfer. Any ideas???
Thanks,
Jody
It's funny you said that the Gildans are giving you a problem -- I find just the opposite! The 50/50 Hanes when peeled have a lot more "fuzz" that pulls up from the material. Now I don't mean the stray fibers that we all sometimes see. I'm talking about the material itself -- the knap of the material is just sooo much more "furry" than the Gildans. I find the material of the Gildans are less fuzzy and "flatter" (for lack of a better term). They cost more, but are worth it -- I've gotten nothing but raving remarks from customers about how soft and comfortable they are, and I enjoy working with that material.

Everyone's experiences are different -- maybe you should try samples of different materials, so you can see the Gildans vs. another brand? Maybe you'll find something you like better. Have you tried the American Apparel tees? They are more pricey, but are supposed to be a higher-end t-shirt...

Melissa

·
Registered
490 Posts
You can't stop the Walmart! I agree an evil company, but they've basically set the standard for retail. I shop there all the time and probably shouldn't but you can't resist. Just like the southpark episode about Walmart it's basically unstoppable. Everyone is trying to save a buck.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Bear in mind you're replying to a four year old post, and the person you responded to hasn't been here since Dec '08.

Anywho, on the subject of lint rollers, before the modern kind was invented we took packing tape, made a little endless strip with the sticky side on the outside, and used our hand to gently apply the roll to the fabric. I still do this with thicker fabrics, as the packing tape is more tacky than lint rollers.

We have a CNC machine in our shop, and plastic bits go everywhere, no matter how clean we try to keep it. If left on the shirt the plastic will melt into the fabric when pressed, and is hard to remove. The colorant in the plastic permanently stains the shirt as well. So we have to de-lint quite heavily around here!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Haha well I didn't realize the post was so old, no big deal, I'm not having a huge lint problem but was wondering what people are using, we're upgrading to an automatic press in the next week or two and thought it would be cool if autos used their pneumatic power to blast air across the shirt to blow lint away. I was searching google to see if it had already been done and came across this thread. I did not notice it was such an old post. Thanks though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.