T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at doing some larger transfers on my tees with the JPSS paper...

My main transfer is a square design. However when i was trying these out on the standard 8" x 11" JPSS paper, & i found removing the paper caused some movement within the print & meant the square was never totally perfectly...The print was hardly noticable but upon test stretching the square image would move even more and cause some curvature in places....again it wasn't drastic but was noticable & didn't resemble the original square i started with.

My main concern is that on a larger paper the print will move more & be even more noticable...what is the best way to get around this problem

i hope iv'e explained myself properly.

thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
Have you tried stretching the shirt while it is still hot. I know this has helped others to keep the design from having a cracked effect. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not cracks i'm worried about. The paper is great & i've never suffered from any major problems. The problem lies with removing the paper & what happens to the shape of the shirt when a transfer is removed. I find when removing certain large shaped images that might be within a square or circle the transfer loses it's shape slightly due to movement in the material when you take away the trasfer paper after cooling.

So far i have only printed large images on 8" x 11" paper...& when i mean large i mean using the full amount of the paper. This is why i think movement on even larger squares & circular images on 11" x 17" paper would be even worse. However i'm thinking there must be a way to avoid this...i hot peel straight away as soon as the heat has been applied!

Is this the best method for JPSS paper?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, what type of shirts are you using, 50/50 or 100% cotton? I had a similar situation when using 50/50 shirts, 100% cotton was always easier to peel, however what i have found is pulling from top to bottom as opposed to side to side works slightly better.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Search for posts by badalou on JPSS paper. He is the expert! If you can't find what you are looking for after you have searched, send him a PM and I'm sure he will help you out.
PM's don't help everyone else see the answer who read this thread. I think it is better to pm a link to this thread to Lou and then he can come back here and comment in the thread, therefore helping everyone who reads this thread in the future who may have the same question.

Same results for the OP, with the benefit of helping many more than one. Just my 2 cents. :)

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
It's not cracks i'm worried about. The paper is great & i've never suffered from any major problems. The problem lies with removing the paper & what happens to the shape of the shirt when a transfer is removed. I find when removing certain large shaped images that might be within a square or circle the transfer loses it's shape slightly due to movement in the material when you take away the trasfer paper after cooling.

So far i have only printed large images on 8" x 11" paper...& when i mean large i mean using the full amount of the paper. This is why i think movement on even larger squares & circular images on 11" x 17" paper would be even worse. However i'm thinking there must be a way to avoid this...i hot peel straight away as soon as the heat has been applied!

Is this the best method for JPSS paper?

Yes, I also have seen this with my peels for a rectangle shape. It pulls slightly askew since the paper "grabs" at the shirt while peeling. I do miss Ironall for that feeling of peeling like Butter!

I agree with Dmart that peeling top to bottom or bottom to top should help aliviate the side skewing - which is what I get sometimes because I peel from the lower left corner to the upper right corner.

Please also listen to and try what Sunny is suggesting. I plan to try it as well.

Folks have complained about burning their fingers trying to hot peel as super quickly as possible to try to get that buttery peel some speak of.

A member posted that they lift the press at the end of the 30 seconds and stretch the shirt from side to side, gently but still they stretch it. What they reported was that the paper "lifts" off the shirt almost everywhere, nearly detaching, making the peel almost done and easy to complete.

If you think about that, that would eliminate the side skewing and stretching that a "direct peel" encourages.

If you try it, let us know how it works out if you get a chance. Good luck, hope it works out for you. :)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
PM's don't help everyone else see the answer who read this thread. I think it is better to pm a link to this thread to Lou and then he can come back here and comment in the thread, therefore helping everyone who reads this thread in the future who may have the same question.

Same results for the OP, with the benefit of helping many more than one. Just my 2 cents. :)
Kelly your right, I use pm's for personal contact and threads for getting answers. I think sharing the information for all is what brings the level of understanding to point of problem solving. That's what the forums really is is brainstorming in writting. This is why we all learn and retain knowledge to make us all succeed. KNOWLEDGE ONCE ATTAINED CAN NEVER BE TAKEN AWAY. .... JB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts