T-Shirt Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Very well said! :)

My monitor shouldn't be wonky, it's a brand new fairly high-end laptop so should be good enough.

I'll try and change the color on-screen in ai to the JPSS ICC as you've suggested.
Unless you have a IPS wide gamut monitor AND it has been calibrated then not likely you are going to have accurate colors onscreen.

The low end for most of these type is around $500

Maybe 99.9% of consumers don't have these and maybe 90% of desktop imprinters don't have these.

I have one and was calibrated to 97% Adobe RGB 1998 with a cert.

Having said that you can get a Color Munki or other brand setup to calibrate your monitor, even if not a wide gamut IPS you can still improve it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Unless you have a IPS wide gamut monitor AND it has been calibrated then not likely you are going to have accurate colors onscreen.

The low end for most of these type is around $500

Maybe 99.9% of consumers don't have these and maybe 90% of desktop imprinters don't have these.

I have one and was calibrated to 97% Adobe RGB 1998 with a cert.

Having said that you can get a Color Munki or other brand setup to calibrate your monitor, even if not a wide gamut IPS you can still improve it.
I guess my screen isn't obviously as top notch as it could be. I hadn't even heard about this equipment equipment :)

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
It's actually quite interesting just how much the colours change in ai by changing these options.
Actually I doubt if you can get good colors with AI, it wasn't designed for RGB devices (not to be confused with CMYK cart colors), it's designed for Postscript output.

Per Adobe ...

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-problems-printing-non-postscript.html

"Adobe Illustrator is optimized for PostScript printing. In fact, many of the Illustrator advanced features can only be described using the PostScript page description language. Non PostScript printers (for example, Hewlett-Packard LaserJets, Canon BubbleJets, or Epson Stylus) use printer description languages that are not full programming languages (for example, PCL or QuickDraw) and are unable to describe all of the objects and attributes in Illustrator artwork. Most non PostScript printers rely on display information, host computer resources, and proprietary printer drivers to relay print information to the printer.

When you print from Illustrator to a non PostScript printer, objects may not print, or may print incorrectly. The behavior may vary with different printers and with different versions of the printer software".

If you are working in vector then "swatching" will get you where you need to be.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
So changing the colour settings in ai won't affect the actual print outs?
No that's not what I said, changing color settings in AI sure will effect your printed output ...

What I am saying is that the accuracy of the monitor will have nothing to do with the printed output, in theory even with a black and white monitor connected you could get good color.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Actually I doubt if you can get good colors with AI, it wasn't designed for RGB devices (not to be confused with CMYK cart colors), it's designed for Postscript output.
I've only been printing onto garments for a few years, with no previous knowledge other than a bit of flair for art and computers in school.

I've taught myself what little I do know about ai from scrath. I'm starting to think that it was just 'chance' that my previous A4 printer printed colours in a way that I was happy with.

To be honest the stuff I do is just fairly simple quirky designs printed onto kids garments. Colours not being exact as they are on screen is by no means essential for what I do.

It just would of been nice, as this printer, the new cutter I've bought, the new laptop, even the new fully kitted out studio/summerhouse office space I've had built at the back of the garden (all from business profits) was supposed to be an upgrade on what I had previously.

Guess I was just a bit lucky with how the colours were printing on my old printer

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
No that's not what I said, changing color settings in AI sure will effect your printed output ...

What I am saying is that the accuracy of the monitor will have nothing to do with the printed output, in theory even with a black and white monitor connected you could get good color.
Ah I see, thanks.

I'll be sure to print test the designs with the new colour settings set in ai :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Did a test print after changing the colour settings in ai. The top print out is the original, the middle one being where I was yesterday and the bottom one is with the new colour settings applied in ai.

I think my previous attempts are closer to the original and to be honest I think I'm just going to have to leave it there and work with it.

Thanks to all who have contributed, you've all been a big help :)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Does anyone else who has this printer recommended fitting a waste tank? The printer will go through light/medium usage I'd say.

I've read about others on the forum installing one. But if some/most have got away just fine without one then I think I will too :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
After reading through all the different posts here, I would like to add few cents of mine, point by point just to make it easier to read.

Printers:
Why dont you try using Epson L1300 (CMYK) or L1800 (C,Lc,M,Lm,Y,K) printers come with built in CISS tanks, relatively inexpensive to maintain and replace and can take a wide variety of inks. Having said that, I am not sure if it is available in all markets but in my experience these printers do produce good quality results. Alternatively CISS tanks can be added to pretty much all printers.

Monitors:
It is always a good idea to calibrate your monitor and use IPS displays. It is not a bad idea to recalibrate your monitors from time to time. If your monitors are not calibrated, it will result in surprises when printing is finished.

Color Calibration hardware:
It will be a good idea to invest in some quality hardware for colour calibration, one good tool would be Colormunki Design. Not only you can calibrate your displays but will help you generate accurate colour profiles for your printer. It is a must have tool for any print business. I know there is other hardware from different manufacturers but I personally prefer Colormunki design for the sheer versatility it offers.

Software:
I use Illustrator for pretty much all of my design work, and rarely work in Photoshop or any other raster based program. I am not very familiar with Silhouette Studio, but I have used Silhouette Connect plugin for Illustrator. It enables the user to send print and cut jobs directly from Illustrator, instead of first saving as TIF or other formats then importing in cameo software. Pretty much all the plotters have such plugins for both Illustrator and Corel Draw, Mimake, Ronald, Graphtec all of them do. Investing in one will help you save a lot of time and effort.

I usually use Pantone swatches for all my art work, and having calibrated monitors and custom printing profiles does make getting desired results easy.

Waste Tank:
It is always a good idea to install waste ink tanks on your printers, as the waste ink pads tend to get saturated after few cleaning cycles, not to mention depending on your location could be expensive to replace. You also have to remember that the printer does need waste ink pad counter reset as each printer comes with finite number of times you can run those cleaning cycles. Every time you replace and reset that counter, Epson will charge you for it.
You can use Ebay to find appropriate waste tank for your printer or make one yourself, they are pretty easy to DIY. You can also buy software used by Epson engineers to reset the waste ink pad count, usually each model have different software, again Ebay should have pretty much all of them.

I do a lot of print work for my clients as a graphics designer I can tell you having proper hardware and software for the job will always save you heck lot of headaches and time, in the long run making your process more efficient and reproducing quality results every time.

These are the few things I could think of at the moment :)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts