T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly i would like to say hi to everyone, I have been browsing these forums for a little while to get some hints and tips.

I have been helping some friends out that have been getting tshirts printed and onselling them to customers and i have now started my own little business that i hope to prove to them and all the sceptics that doubt me that i can and will do this successfuly.

I would just like to ask a few questions to see if im doing things right or if there is a better way of doing things and if so get some advice in doing it.

We have found a printer in victoria who charges $8 per shirt for a 1 colour print and $20 per setup plus gst
Is this a decent cost to have shirts printed?
We use gildan soft style shirts cause he only prints on gildan and JB. I have never seen the JB shirts but i know i love the feel and fit of the soft style shirts.

Is there other printers out there around that price that uses any better shirts? We are really looking at getting American apparel as soon as we can find it, just because we like the range AA offers.

If i was to buy the shirts from a wholesaler and send the shirts to either my or any printer are they usually happy to print on the shirts we supply or do they prefer to purchase the shirts them selves because of the markup they usually put on them?

Are we allowed to remove the Gildan(or whatever brand) tags? We get a print on the inside of the collar as a tag with all the relevant washing information on it along with our details. We still leave in the tag with the size on it tho.

Later down the track my business and a good mates one are going to look at getting a screen printer ourselfs, because we know 4 different little companys and are real good mates with a heap of local bands that get merch made, will this be a cheaper way of doing things and how much time would it take to be able to learn it to a point where we do pretty good work?

Also when i end up getting garments into shops how does it all work? Do i get an order from the shop, get the items to them and they have 30 days to pay? Or is it the other way around? I get paid and have 30 days to give the garments to the shop?

I know i have asked alot but any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps
Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tim...to prove yourself to others shouldn't be a motivation to start a business...but since you did, you'd better prove yourself right!

Some recommendations:

1. I believe you can find printers that will print on your supplies and charge no set up fee. However, each shirt could cost up to $15.

2. Sourcing supplies yourself may not be the best option although it seemed to be cheap. As your supplier will have to ship it to your printer, who will then ship it to your supplier, there's a lot involved in managing the process, hence it's a lot better to just use the shirts that the printers use. Another advantage of this is that you can rest assured to know that the print will work!

3. I think your last question is about distribution...I don't know a lot about it, but as far as I've been told, it's very difficult to distribute your product if you don't have the right contacts. Generally with payments, it's up to you to negotiate a beneficial term. But since you're new to this industry, you probably won't have much bargaining power, hence you probably end up with, supply the garments, and they will pay you within 60 days, of which if they decide that your product won't sell, they'll return everything to you - again, don't quote me, I don't really know this yet, as I don't plan to have my products distributed yet.

Hope this helps, I'm also starting up my own, and these are just things that I've learnt so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,
the biggest reason i started is because i used to help a mate when he was starting his, and i was doing pretty much everything, all the website stuff, all the computer based design stuff and all the communications with everyone important.
When i asked him if i could be a full part of what he was doing he told me know i was just the "web" guy.
So i left and said that he will fail because he can never do anything himself.
Well i have proved it, and i proved it quick.
I really enjoyed what i was doing so, i have started doing this with my best mate. And things are taking off.
The first company i was working with was selling in stores on consignment. Everything was done very badly, he never done anything professionally, he couldn't even spell the basics right in all any emails.

I on the other hand have learned from his mistakes. We have a photo shoot planned for this Friday and we have a really good mate who can photo shop all our designs to look like we are wearing the designs.
Once the photo shoot is done we are getting a full colour catalogue printed so we can start visiting small local independant stores to see if they will stock us.
We feel this will acheive our goal of being stocked in stores alot better then what the old company was doin by just email.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
the biggest reason i started is because i used to help a mate when he was starting his, and i was doing pretty much everything, all the website stuff, all the computer based design stuff and all the communications with everyone important.
When i asked him if i could be a full part of what he was doing he told me know i was just the "web" guy.
So i left and said that he will fail because he can never do anything himself.
Well i have proved it, and i proved it quick.
I really enjoyed what i was doing so, i have started doing this with my best mate. And things are taking off.
The first company i was working with was selling in stores on consignment. Everything was done very badly, he never done anything professionally, he couldn't even spell the basics right in all any emails.

I on the other hand have learned from his mistakes. We have a photo shoot planned for this Friday and we have a really good mate who can photo shop all our designs to look like we are wearing the designs.
Once the photo shoot is done we are getting a full colour catalogue printed so we can start visiting small local independant stores to see if they will stock us.
We feel this will acheive our goal of being stocked in stores alot better then what the old company was doin by just email.
Good luck with the Photo shoot mate! Hope things go well for you. As long as you enjoy it, what happens down the track doesn't matter~

Let me know how you go with the shops and what sort of terms you get...it could be useful for me further down the track if I decide to get my stuff distributed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we have done our photoshoot and printing our catalogue at the moment and got our first batch of clothes printed and delivered to us.

We had a tag printed on the inside of the collar and we will be cutting the gildan tag out but leaving the size tag there.
Question i have is there anywhere that makes tags for the inside of the collar and is it cheap?

Also another questions we have, we had zip up hooded jackets printed on gildan jackets but they have come with a "gildan" branded zip. Is there anyway to change these??

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi congrates on this, do you have any pics??

Where will you be distributing???

I'm not sure how you can change those after they are made, but you should ask Gildan to see if they can do it for you~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hmmm, you might be right. I was wondering why there were so few pictures of what people did..

I think the galleries show most of it, however im always interested in seeing the photos in the threads that talk about the methods...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts