T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a rule of thumb for relabeling t-shirts you buy or is it pretty much just do as you like?

I'm thinking about purchasing some ProClub shirts abnd having them screen printed and I'd like top get my own tags put on the shirts... but trying to communicate with their company is very difficult and I wasn't able to get an answer over the phone as to if its possible to do. They do not offer the service of relabeling or private labeling. But of course I could just do it myself. I was just wondering if this was a "legal" practice or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd like to know as well. I am interested in any guidelines for what needs to be printed on a care label.

- Do you need to include where the tee was made?
- If a tee is made in, say, honduras but is printed and finished here in the states, can it be called Made in USA?

I am in a position to export my tees to Japan, Europe and Canada and would really apperciate any info on labeling guidelines.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure there is some legal verbage saying you must have an RN# as well.

ps. Elevate(r), I put "Made in China, Designed & Printed in USA" on my labels. I haven't gotten to that point yet... but that's what I planned to do. The "made in" portion pertains to where the shirt was assembled. Like some say "assembled in El Salvador of USA materials"... but even so... nothing says you can't say where it was printed. Heck, your paying extra $$ to have it shipped and printed in USA... WHY NOT say that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been doing the same thing, putting heat tansfer labels in my shirts. Does anyone know anyplace to get good quality woven labels, or even iron on woven labels?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
secondtonobody said:
How do you go about removing the woven tag of the shirt without messing up the shirt
Depends on what kind of labels you are putting in afterwards.

The method I see recommended most often is to use a razor to cut as close to where the tag is sewn in as possible - this will leave a small line of tag still in the garment. You can then print a label directly onto the shirt below the neckline.

The other method is to outsource the removal and sewing of the new labels to a seamstress, or screenprinters, etc. who offer this service.

secondtonobody said:
And what info do you have on your lables
I covered that in a lot of depth on this thread (scroll down 'till you see the really long post :D).

The short version (assuming you're in the US) is: Every country of manufacture (on front of tag), FULL care instructions (using FTC US-specific symbols, clear English words, or both), honest and specific fiber content, FULL company name or an RN in place of the name. There are other laws about where the tag must appear, it must be permanent, etc. etc. but that's what has to be on it.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Solmu said:
Depends on what kind of labels you are putting in afterwards.

The method I see recommended most often is to use a razor to cut as close to where the tag is sewn in as possible - this will leave a small line of tag still in the garment. You can then print a label directly onto the shirt below the neckline.

The other method is to outsource the removal and sewing of the new labels to a seamstress, or screenprinters, etc. who offer this service.
I'd only use a razor cut if you're screenprinting in the labels and working on the cheap. If you're screenprinting any sort of number, the costs for relabelling are minimal.

I'd prefer employing a seamstress to unpick and resew the hem. If you get a Uni fashion student, she could do this at about 100/hour, and so the cost is minimal.

You could get a screenprinter to do it too....but I've never found a sole "de-labeler"....the price would probably be the same as thier relabel rates, so you may as well get a label put in while you're at it. It costs about 80UScents per label and relabelling for runs of about 250 at the average screenprinter. I'm not sure screen printing your own labels and razoring out the label would be much cheaper.

Hiring a uni student is obviously even cheaper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How does a screened label look on the obverse (seen) side of the shirt? I've been thinking about this recently, but with my screened shirts turned inside out it's obvious what lies underneath.

Do I cut down on the ink? I'm all in favor of proper care instructions but I'd rather skip the whole idea if it makes the shirt look like crap.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Chris said:
How does a screened label look on the obverse (seen) side of the shirt? I've been thinking about this recently, but with my screened shirts turned inside out it's obvious what lies underneath.

Do I cut down on the ink? I'm all in favor of proper care instructions but I'd rather skip the whole idea if it makes the shirt look like crap.
Hmmm....never had that problem.

What weight of shirts are you using?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just cut the tags off, and use my custom 'iron-on' labels from 'barrett labels'

they made some custom iron on labels for me, so all i do is cut the tags off and iron on my tags....waaaalaaaa tagless customs labels...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm brand spanking new to this Tee Shirt thing but I'm going for it. As far as the tags go, I buy a lot of different kinds of Tee's and most of the new style tees have screened lablels. It's more fashionable and it doesn't tickle or scratch your neck.

I'm here to learn the game. So I'm all ears.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is it safe to say if you are relabeling that if you use everything on the existing shirt reprinted with your logo than your going to be ok. So I can keep the same RN# and same Care instructions and symbols I'll be ok? Thank in advance

1 - 20 of 23 Posts