T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,468 Posts
Just as a work of advice.

If you're selling to the UK and replace the labels with your own, don't forget to include:

Material (eg 100% Cotton)

Where made (eg Made in New Zealand)

Wash instruction (including wash temp, dry temp, and warnings.....do not wring etc) You can use the standardised EU symbols.

I had a friend who lost a 1000 piece contarct to a small boutique shop chain in the UK, because he lacked one of those, and therefore his tshirts couldn't be legally sold 9and then had 1000 pieces to either relabel or sell outside the EU....I think he just sold them online in the end).

· Registered
2,468 Posts
Solmu said:
It's been mentioned in these forums that the US has the same laws.

I'd guess with international trade agreements, etc. that most countries in the world have some kind of law regarding what has to appear on a clothing label.

What I don't know is if it has to appear on the garment itself, or if the care instructions could just be included on the hang tag (unfortunately I think they probably have to be included on the garment itself).

Threadless tshirts would be illegal to sell retail in the UK:

http://www.threadless.com/product/148/view3.jpg

No material listed (which has to be on a non-detachable label/print etc)

No actual wash instruction.

Can't quite make out the type but i don't think there's a "Made in" either.

Shops would not, and could not, stock them. Possibly in the US too.

· Registered
2,468 Posts
Yes, I doubt shops will be raided by the police.

It's more to do with, in my experience, the retailers refusing to stock them. At least anywhere beyond boutique shops.

They might have different labels for their wholesale exports, perhaps, or the retailer just never checked (or that they could get away with it). If someone complains, its the retailer who will be fined (and fined heavily....something like GBP5000 an item)

Although I did see a couple of Threadless shirts being sold in Notting Hill, at about GBP35 a pop. I have a sneaky feeling they bought them for $15 from the site, and are reselling them (at a nice GBP28 profit....or $US50). That would mean they weren't ever intended for retail bricks & mortar stores.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.