T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a press and just having spent hours trying to register 2 colors.

Is there some kind of add on that I can buy to upgrade it to a micro registration press.

I don't have a band name for the press. The color of the press is kind of a burgundy color, its redish-brownish color. I saw the silver press add on for Micro, but I am not sure if it would work.

Any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Are you having problems getting registration or keeping it once you get it. Unless you have a super complicated logo I would think you could get it registered pretty quick. I had registered many 4 color jobs without much trouble.
Are you using registration marks?

But to answer your question...yes they do make aftermarket Micros. Could you also post a picture of your press?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are pictures of the press.

I am just frustrated that its taking me hours to to register these. The image I am registering is a 2 color image, but when I line up the top of the image, the bottom is off, when I like the bottom the top goes off.

I am using registration marks, but that dont seem to help. Because once I line everything up and tighten up the screws, the screen moves as I tighten the screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I would really think you could set that 2 color job up in 10 mins or less. Are you sure that you artwork even lines up...I have heard stories of the transparencies changing size due to the heat of the printer. I would think that your screens would not move when tightening by looking at your press. Last resort you could always add some "stroke" to one of the colors to cover up and miss registration. I will continue to think, but I dont know what else could be causing it.

Lastly I would just make sure that everything is tight, because if 1 little thing is loose then you will never find registration.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 step ahead of you, I did add 1 pixel stroke on my second film.

My films are printed on a Epson 1400 Inkjet. When I printed them out, I did line them up before exposing them.

By the way, what kind of press do I have based on the picture? Can I do an upgrade to Micro on that using the silver press add on from Ryonet?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also just called Ryonet and sent them pictures of my press and the clamps. Their micro upgrade attachment won't work for my press. Any other ways for a Micro upgrade?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Is there play in your arm? When you put your screen down can you move it back and forth easily. I know my press is getting a little old now and the metal piece that locks the arm in place is wearing down allowing it to move some. I would also check to make sure that your screens are nice and tight. Sometimes they will cause trouble if they are too loose. Also you may be doing this already but when you go to line up your screen make sure you are looking straight down on the platen or at least stay consistent with all your colors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also it might just be me but I think micro registration is over rated. I feel like I can get a better fast alignment without using my micro registration at all. Idk maybe its just me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry about all the posts, but just by looking at your arm i think it would be a pain in the butt to have to tighten down your screen with a wrench. I would put some sort of knob on the end so you can effectively hold your screen down to the platen and tighten the screen with your other hand.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just a tip to avoid the moving of the screen due to tightening your hold-down screws: keep the tension fairly tight on these, use more torsion to move the screen. You can invest in a small rubber mallet too (don't go crazy here) so that you can move the screen smaller amounts by tapping the screen into place and then using little more effort to fully tighten the screws. Keeping these hold-down screwer tighter decreases your chances of movement when you finally fully tighten them. When you find the right balance, you'll know you are there.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Also it might just be me but I think micro registration is over rated. I feel like I can get a better fast alignment without using my micro registration at all. Idk maybe its just me.
Are you serious? Every time that I tighten down the clamps it throws the registration off a bit. Micro registration is an absolute necessity for multi color printing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts