T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a very small t-shirt label. It’s just me that runs it. I recently found out that if you are running a business you should register it straight away (in the UK) or within the first 3 months. I opened my website last year but I didn’t really make a lot of sales, (they were only to friends). I didn’t have a job either as I was a student so I thought that it would come under my personal allowance? I tend to count this year as my first proper year as I recently started a market stall which would obliviously sell to the public and hopefully garner profit. Also registering the business also requires information on turnover etc, but I’ve only sold a few at all different times of year, I haven’t yet had consistent sales.

Basically my question is do I count my self as self employed? And should I register my business as such? Do I even need to register it yet? Did anyone else here register straight away?

Apparently there’s a £100 fine so I’m a bit worried.

Chronicles

· Registered
109 Posts
Yes, go register your business. The fines are always MORE than it would've taken to make the business legit. You want to be a serious business owner, so do it the right way.
If you get caught, you're gonna wish you had taken the time and investment in the 1st place anyway..
What types of shirts are you doing?
Good luck, Nancy

· Registered
100 Posts
yes just register - maybe you can put the date as more recent and state that you have flipped from doing it as a hobby to a business

But they just want their money in fees and taxes, lucky for you in a way not making any real money yet so probably more lenient - but do it before make any money then they will want lots more fines !

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks NancyG and Mark S! I'm going to register asap!

Yes, go register your business. The fines are always MORE than it would've taken to make the business legit. You want to be a serious business owner, so do it the right way.
If you get caught, you're gonna wish you had taken the time and investment in the 1st place anyway..
What types of shirts are you doing?
Good luck, Nancy
I design screenprinted t-shirts for men and women, influenced by my faith, love, music etc. The link is in my signature :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.