T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a simple one color navy ink job being printed on white shirts. After the customer picked up the shirts, one of the employees had washed the shirt and a ghosted image of the print appeared on the shirt in red. She washed another shirt to test if it was just one but the same thing happened. I've tried searching the forums and the internet to see what happened but all I come across is the dye migration problem using white ink on red shirts (which I'm already familiar with but is not the issue in this case). I know some factories will dye light shirts to a darker color to even out the inventory. I'm wondering if maybe these white shirts were originally red and maybe the shirts were bleached to turn white and there's still some residual dye left in the shirt that comes out after the wash. The shirts used are the Port & Company Long Sleeve Essential Tees (PC61LS) 100% cotton. The ink used is Wilflex Epic Navy (60000PFX). Gas conveyer dryer for curing .I've been doing this for 12 years and have never come across this before. Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I find it interesting that the discoloration only happens below the blue ink--not to the left, right, or above. Something akin to dye migration would not be directional, nor would something caused by washing and drying. I suggest that the root cause of this was on press and follows the direction of squeegee travel. Perhaps that will help you narrow down the possibilities ... but I've got nothing specific to suggest. Interesting puzzle :unsure:

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
This is pigment crocking.
Directional due to gravity... This shirt has been hang dried.
Most likely cause is under-cured ink, but it can also be the ink itself (bad batch, or ink used without mixing, etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts