T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After making the stencil on the screen, how long can you leave the stencil in the screen if you want to reclaim the screen for the future?

I know it is best to do as soon as you are done the prints, but I just want to know how long till the screen is deemed unclaimable.

I did it once, by using bleach and it worked great. but that was on the same day the stencil was made. It's been almost a week now since i made the stencil. Will the emulsion not come off?

I just dont want to save a unsaveable screen, when i can still have a useable stencil. (if you know what i mean)

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
humming said:
I did it once, by using bleach and it worked great. but that was on the same day the stencil was made. It's been almost a week now since i made the stencil. Will the emulsion not come off?
Almost a week? Yeah, that will be totally fine.

To be honest I don't know what the upper limit is on how long it is before you can't reclaim (and even then dehazer, etc. works wonders), but a few weeks and it's not even going to be stubborn.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Some of the printers I talk to will leave the clients screen on the rack anywhere from 30-90 days.. so.. It's pretty safe to say that even after 3 months its still reclimable.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've reclaimed screens that had a stencil on them for over a year. I don't think you have to worry about them becoming un-reclaimable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've reclaimed screens that had a stencil on them for over a year. I don't think you have to worry about them becoming un-reclaimable.
Yea, I would agree with Rusty. I have had a customer who has been using the same designs for going on 5 years now. They went out of business this month, so I had my guys reclaim the screens. They said it was a little tougher then usual, but overall not much of a problem.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
If the stencil was well exposed, repeated chemical cleaning will not fuse the 'un-crosslinked' stencil materials.

When it comes time to reclaim the mesh, stencil remover will penetrate in 2 - 4 minutes and break the cross-links and the stencil should fall out of the mesh. It always helps to apply a bit o'pressure!

Cheer up. The stencil is made. There is nothing you can do about it until you are ready to reclaim, and then you will know the answer in 10 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts