T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I've been doing vinyl decals for cars for just short of a year now and recently my customers have been saying that the decals are hard to transfer off the backing without involving a heat gun/hairdryer.. I use detape clear application tape and different vinyl types. I have tested several methods out to find the same results which my customers are getting, I use a squeegee to firmly apply the tape putting pressure and scraping both front and back of the decal but the only thing that will make the vinyl stick to the application tape is heat, for example if I generate heat using my finger and go round the decal, it will then adhere to the application tape, I haven't had this issue before so I am stumped and there isn't much help that I can find. Do I need to use a higher tack? Or is there something I can change or do better?

· Registered
28 Posts
1. Are you in USA? Its winter now. Temperature of decals need to be kept at room temperature.
2. Are you storing the vinyl & tape in a warm room (not garage?) Cold can effect the adhesives.
3. Is the vinyl "removable" (water based adhesive) or permanent adhesive.?
4. Is the vinyl new stock or stuff from a while ago?
5. Medium tack is best for letters larger than one inch high.
6. What vinyl are you using? Oracle, 3M ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.