T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a company that makes sweatshop free t-shirts (preferably made in the USA) that is reasonably priced? Every company I find charges absorbanent prices ($4-$5 per t-shirt). Im not looking for t-shirts with a retro soft feel, like american apparel. It seems like every company that is sweatshop free makes soft retro style shirts. Im just looking for a regular t-shirt, like a gildan or hanes type that is sweatshop free.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
You Americans and your cheap wholesalers :)

$4-$5 is our bargin-end price in Australia :)

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
that's one of the tradeoffs in selecting "sweatshop free" shirts over other brands.

Because they are sweatshop free, that means it costs more to make them which means they will be more expensive.

Since these shirts are often considered higher quality or more sought after, you should be selling the shirts at a premium to your customers to make up for the added cost.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Personally I've often wondered how even sweatshop free places make their clothes so cheap. I don't know much about garment manufacture, and the main unknown in that equation is how many shirts a worker can make an hour... maybe I'd be surprised. But you have to pay the workers making the clothes, the guys in marketing, the people who deliver them, the people in the retail shops, etc. Then there's rent, materials, utilities... yeoch. The costs are going to add up pretty considerably.

I mean what can you get for five bucks these days? A burger? A coffee?

Maybe I just severely underestimate how many t-shirts a good pattern cutter & sewer can pump out in an hour.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I imagine that even "sweatshop-free" workers make little more than minimum wage....which in the LA where AA are made it is $6.75. That's not exactly living the high-life. It's 2/3rds of the UK minimum wage, which is not a lot higher than the bread-line.

Basically any t-shirt made in the West, within Western borders, and is operating legally, will be "sweatshop-free". The tag doesn't mean a whole lot in the West.

It means more in the 2nd world, where the difference between "sweatshop-free" and "sweatshop", is enormous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update: I have found that Allstyle apparel is sweatshop free, and is actually cheaper than many t-shirt companies that manufacture their shirts in sweatshops. A tip with allstyle, is call up and ask them for better pricing...for me they are giving me cheaper than case lot pricing.

How did you find that Alstyle is sweatshop free?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would seriously look into Alstyle for there "credibility" my friend. You version of "sweatshop" and their could be different. Plus what does it matter to them if they lie to you!? I have zero experience with Alstyle however I would research that before pitching it to your customers.

If your customer base finds out! You will be like the owner of the factory that made Matel toys. He sourced that paint himself. It was certified lead free. It obviously was a lie. And now he is a piniata! Just keep your ears open! Plus look into SA8000 certification. That my help. sorry for rambling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts