T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, Can anyone provide me with a good definition of the difference of Reactive vs. Non-Reactive Dyes for Black Shirts. I have been asked by several suppliers which I would prefer as they are going to manufacture the shirts for me to my specs. I want to make sure I understand what the advantages & disadvantages are of the 2. From what I can gather is some dyes can possibly bleed or be blemished upon the application of heat .

I have searched the web & previous posts & cant get a clear definition to make sure I make the best decision. My use for these Blank Black shirts I am ordering is to print on them via Silk-Screen & Heat Transfer.

Any help or reference websites would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You would normally only use reactive dyes if you are printing with discharge inks. Plastisol inks work fine with either dye method but you may find that reactive dyes have some color shift when using a heat press. If you have no plans to use discharge inks I would specify non-reactive dye.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Reactive dyes are used to dye cellulosic fibres. The dyes contain a reactive group, either a haloheterocycle or an activated double bond, that, when applied to a fibre in an alkaline dye bath, forms a chemical bond with an hydroxyl group on the cellulosic fibre. Reactive dye is now the most important method for the coloration of cellulosic fibres. Reactive dyes can also be applied on wool and nylon; in the latter case they are applied under weakly acidic conditions. Reactive dyes have a low utilization degree compared to other types of dyestuff, since the functional group also bonds to water, creating hydrolysis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts